Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor Kitchen Island Dimensions?

MattyMc
MattyMc Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone -
I'm getting a patio built with an island for my large egg to sit in. It is just going to sit in a nook and the whole front of the will be exposed. Basically like in this picture I found online (althought not nearly as fancy!) -
http://www.outdoorkitchens.info/uploads/3/0/1/6/301613/1452157.jpg

My question is does anyone know what the best measuresments are for the cutout area? Based on the size of the egg, I was thinking 24" wide, 18" tall, and 24" deep. Would this work? Will the hinges clear the countertop...the counter will be 30" deep.

Thanks!
Chester County, PA

Comments

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,501
    Morning Matty:

The dimensions you have sound pretty good...below are a couple pictures of my ODK area...I have two Large Eggs so the width is 54" (thus the 24" for one looks good), and mine is 24" deep. As for the bottom height from the floor, I went with 16" as I put a 2" thick paver stone under the Eggs with the green feet.

Distance view...
    P4060008.jpg

a little closer...
    P7070003.jpg

I'm at work at the moment, but if you have any other questions once I get home later today I can do some measurements if needed. Good luck with your ODK...you will LOVE it!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Nice storage unit for the cats Scoop-Away. You looking for some more cats?

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=A9&Dato=20110610&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=106100801&Ref=PH

Just kidding!
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,501
    Morning Richard:

Those are EMPTY of the cat litter, but do come in handy for storing lump at times...I was putting aside LARGE pieces for later overnight cooks, but it got to be too much of a hassle so there are no more EMPTY litter cans on that porch! :laugh:

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    WOW!! I can't help you with measurements, but I'd sure like to be there when you christen it!! 8 - ),,,
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    You could check with Zippylip. He built this...

IMG_3695.jpg

Wish I had a setup like it!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Double Bogey
    Double Bogey Posts: 635
    Matty,
    When I built mine I was planning on a medium to go with the large that I already had. Somewhere along the way I decided to add a small and mini. So the space on the left is a little too big for the small but it works fine.
    The opening for the large is 25" wide by 17.5" high and I made it 29" front to back so I would not have to worry about the clearance for the hinge.
    NewEggTable2.jpg

This is the front view
    IMG_0403.jpg
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Matty,

Don't forget a spot for your next egg. :whistle:
  • Lonestar
    Lonestar Posts: 1
    Attached are the dimensions I provided my outdoor kitchen builder, along with a couple pics of the finished product:

EggNest_Dimensions.jpg

30.jpg

27.jpg
  • MattyMc
    Wow those are some great set ups! Thank you all for the quick replies. I met with the patio guy last night and he is going to start around the end of next week. So maybe it will be complete by 4th of July. I will follow up with pics. And a before and after pic to show my ghetto setup (plastic folding table next to egg that is sitting on the ground on 1 paver) that I have now haha.
    Chester County, PA
  • MattyMc
    Well my patio is finally done. I'm gonna try to take some pictures today! :woohoo:
    Chester County, PA