Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Texas BBQ Recommendations

HoosierDan
HoosierDan Posts: 76
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning a cross country road trip and will be traveling through Texas along I-20 from New Mexico, through Dallas en route to Tennessee. I know there are several eggheads in Texas. Does anyone have recommendations for good eats along my planned route?

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    The world Mecca for Texas BBQ is Lockhart (Black's, Smitty's, Kruez Market). It's just south of Austin, so it is a bit out of your way, but I know a guy that came all the way from Germany just to go to Lockhart. He was not disappointed.

Maybe some of the Northern Texans can give you places on I-20. I'm down south.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• frogfrog
    frogfrog Posts: 24
    For the love of BBQ, you need to find a way to hit the Railhead. If you have other drivers/time, grab one of the coldest beers you'll ever drink. Its my favorite BBQ joint ever.
  • bcrawfo2
    bcrawfo2 Posts: 85
    That's a strong statement....so...to help that.
    At Fort Worth...I-20 and I-30 run parallel and about 5-7 miles apart. If you're going west on 20...zip up to 30 and get some good Q. As you continue west on 30...you'll merge back with 20.
  • TheBeeve
    TheBeeve Posts: 6
    Gary gave excellent advice. If you're making a trip of this kind of distance then what would otherwise be a detour too big to think about suddenly is worthwhile if you really want the best barbeque. I'd throw in the Salt Lick west of Austin for their ribs....
  • Bigjohn
    Bigjohn Posts: 144
    My personal favorite is Cousins, a couple of blocks south of I20 on Bryant Irving. Angelos is well known and Railhead does have really cold beer.
  • HoosierDan
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I had read some nice info about Angelo's and had placed that one at the top of my list thinking we could hit the Stockyards in Ft. Worth also. The bad thing is that we are driving a nearly ten-hour leg that day from Las Cruces to the Dallas area...with a three year-old in the car. :blink: That alone may prevent me from driving too far off course. I'll definitely look at the suggested places and try to see if I can work them out though.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    John, have not been to Angelo's in 25 years.
    They still have the big ice cold glass mugs?
    We used to go there anytime in Fort Worth.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• HoosierDan
    The reviews I read from Angelo's indicate that they do still offer ice cold beer with their que. Right now I would say that I am leaning toward the Railhead over Angelo's because their menu seems better suited for my two girls.
  • HoosierDan
    I'm looking forward to this trip. While BBQ is not the focus (work is unfortunately) I just so happen to be passing through KC on the way out and the Ft. Worth area on the way back. I considered passing through Memphis on the way back home to round out the BBQ but figure I can save that one for another time.
  • Coacher
    Coacher Posts: 22
    Angelos might be the best I've ever had... They serve cold beer in ice cold mugs. The atmosphere is kinda neat too, lots of stuffed game on the wall and such. I have always seen kids in there.
  • You will likeley drive by a Rudy's BBQ Store & Gas Station.

There is one off I20 in Arlington, but they are usually located on the outskirts of towns and not in the big city.

http://www.rudys.com/
  • Rafter R
    Rafter R Posts: 120
    Along I 20,,,, try to hit Abilene around lunch time and go to Harold's. It is a dive of a place and not open in the evening. only from about 11am-3ish pm. Just an old looking house but worth the efort. Its better than Joe Allens but Joe's gets all the love b/c of the steaks I think.

If you want to go a bit out of the way ( north of 20 about 2 hours) go to TC's Ponderosa in Dickens TX on US 82 - 1 hour east of Lubbock. Good brisket!

that's my 2 cents,

ps I would take 62 east out El Paso--then you do not drop south towards big Bend just to come back north to Sweetwater. You would go through Carlsbad --and He was right it is bad ;) you can join back up w/ I 20 south of Snyder or keep on 62/180 all the way to Fort Worth. But it will be the scenic route.
  • Bigjohn
    Bigjohn Posts: 144
    Mickey,
    The last time I was there they did. It is not my favorite place except when friends want to go. All the ex-coaches meet there once a month.
  • HoosierDan
    Thanks for the tips. I'm very much interested in seeing the real country rather than interstate, especially where it won't add much to the already long drive. I'll follow 62 through Carlsbad for sure. Is there plenty of opportunities for bathroom breaks and gas along that route?

Abilene might be a little too close to dinner time to stop for lunch though.
  • Rafter R
    Rafter R Posts: 120
    Your first leg out of El Paso on 62 will be a whole lot of nothing for about two hours until you get to Whites City (the actual Carlsbad Caverns) after that there are more frequent stoppying spots, but still -- few larger towns. BUT thats WTX and SE new mexico. Remember to stay on 180 at Seminole, TX or you'll take 62 north to Lubbock about an hour north out of your way.

Travel safe and hope you enjoy whatever you eat along the way.
  • Hoosier,

Lockhart is a great place. Check out this blog and their Texas BBQ map.

http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com

Now wherever you are in Texas, you can find good 'que. Be sure to zoom in on the towns on the map, many like Lockhart are too small for you to click on the various reviews (or to even see there are multiple reviews) without zooming in.

Also, be sure to get yourself some good Tex-Mex while you are there.

Safe travels!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Dan, a photo-blog of your trip would be... really cool! ;)

I agree with what was said above, I don't think you can find bad Q in Texas, unless you go to Denny's...

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.