Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT... Sad Day

Options
Lawn Ranger
Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pepper.. Born: April 29, 1997, Put to Rest: June 8, 2011

A shot of Pepper after playing with a toilet paper roll.
Several of you had the pleasure of meeting the old girl.

She was my best Buddy.

Mike

010-9.jpg

Comments

• Zyme
    Zyme Posts: 180
    Options
    I'm so sorry for you! I'm sure she was a great dog and will be forever remembered.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    We're hurting with you my friend.

Spring "Know The Pain" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Mike,

So sorry! I am facing the same thing with my dog Bear.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• woody's wood pit
    Options
    I've been there and it is not good....

Celebrate her life with a beer and a long cook...

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Really sorry to hear that Mike, we really get attached to our 4 legged family members :(
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    Having lost two in the last year, I know how you feel. My thoughts are with you.

Ken
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Pat and I share your sorrow, Mike.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    LR,

Sorry for your loss. :(
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Hang in there, I know the feeling.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    It is so hard to lose a pet and loyal companion. I am so sorry. She has left you lots of memories.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • BarManBean
    BarManBean Posts: 129
    Options
    So sorry, Mike. I'm sure she was a great pup and will be missed. I read a story that I thought was pretty incredible the other day. Might make you smile and think about how most of our pets really are miles ahead of us in some ways :)

Following taken from http://www.waycooldogs.com/a-6-year-old-childs-philosophy-on-dogs/.

A 6-year old Child’s Philosophy on Dogs

Posted on August 25, 2009 by: WayCoolDogs

A Dog’s Purpose (from a 6-year old)
    Author Unknown

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolf hound dog named Belker. The dog’s owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle to save him.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn’t do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker’s family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker’s transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker’s Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, ‘I know why.’

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I’d never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, ‘People are born so that they can learn how to live a good Life — like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?’ The six-year-old continued, ‘Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don’t have to stay as long.’

Live simply.
    Love generously.
    Care deeply.
    Speak kindly.

Cheers,
    Michael
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    It's never easy. You had 14 great years with her. At some point, the pain will ease and the great memories will remain.

http://www.petloss.com/rainbowbridge.htm

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Sure sad to hear the news. It is amazing how much it hurts even if one knows the end is coming for a pet.

Our best. Kent
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    sorry to hear that mike. abes on the short timer list, not sure how he is still getting up and excited to get down on the dock or into the boat, kidneys are getting huge, another doctor visit next week :ermm:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Don't hold on too long, My Friend. She was the same great temperment to the end, but her body was just a wreck. I was only delaying the inevitable. She was the best, and would never mess her bed or the house...she'd bark for me and hold it until I could get her outside. In the end, I had to carry her in and out. I was with her until the end. It was the correct decision.

Best to you, Buddy.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    That's great, Michael. And very true.

Thanks.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Michael:
    Best to you and Abe.

Mike
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    oh Mike I am so very sorry... we are still reeling from loosing sugar two weeks ago. but we are finding more smiles than tears now as we come across pictures like this one that make us laugh. the pain only means you loved her truly and it will fade some every day. and the smiles will be more often. my heart goes out to you and your family and the other dogs in your life as they are missing her too I am sure.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Man that sucks. So sorry to hear Mike.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I love the look on her face... I am sure she is trying to figure out how to pin it on the two in the background... my Dexter has the same look when he is trying to convince me it was not him chasing our poor old 20 years old cat... with a clump of gray fur stuck in his mouth..... he is all white so it is kind of noticeable LOL
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    My condolences. From one dog owner to another.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Made me smile. Thanks. ;)
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Thanks, Ron. It's all good.

Mike
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Options
    Mike, really sorry to hear about your dog. We've been through that with a lab we had for ten years. We let some time go by and adopted a new dog. Not the same as the dog you lost, but seems to work out well for us.

Mike
    Marthasville, MO
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    She even liked Chubby!...or maybe it was Ann? She always made the dogs a big tray of her famous chicken liver brownies when they visited.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    You are 100% right Mike. It's what is best for your pet not you, I know because I made that mistake years ago and still think about it to this day.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. The passing of a furry member of the family is never easy. Take comfort knowing that Pepper goes on to a better place.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Very sorry about Pepper, Mike. I've been where you are a few times and I know how tough it is.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    So sorry... Our heart often becomes one with a beloved pet. I lost my precious, Maine Coon Cat a few years ago and "VI's" link below bought tears to my eyes again. But one day...
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Mike, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. :( I'm sure Pepper was the best!

I've given instructions for Pepper to be met over that rainbow by Cindy, Whitey, Sammy, Sloopy, Lady, Jesse, and Nadia. She'll be in great company.