Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

any umbrella eggperience?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Common sense tells me heat and smoke coming out of humpty's dome is hot, but seems to dissipate quickly...therefore can't a person probably drill a hole in his table so as to insert the rod end (handle removed) of say a large "golf size" umbrella when it is raining or even snowing? We get some downpours that can drown a fish and so far I've been lucky that I haven't had a low and slow in process during these storms. Any eggperiences anyone will share? ^oo^~

Comments

• Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    one feral kat,
    I have had several experiences EGGin' in the rain. I simply make a "tent" out of aluminum foil and feed it through the handle on the daisy-wheel top. The handle keeps it from blowing off, and the foil doesn't seem to affect the airflow from the fire. The method has worked on a 20 hour low & slow butt cook. If your trying to sear steack, I'm not sure that it would work for you.[p]Just a thought.[p]B~F

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    one feral kat,
    I have seen that several eggers have an umbrella hole drilled in their table. I am planning on doing this myself. Wouldn't think it would be a good idea for high temp searing, but nearly everything else should be okay. [p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    one feral kat,[p]I've not cooked low and slow without a top of some sort, and usually covering 95% of the chimney opening so the rain has never been a problem. I've cooked in one gully washer with no problems and have cooked burgers in a storm with no ill effects either. Your umbrella setup sounds interesting but be careful, it may start to look somewhat like a New York city hotdog stand. Maybe BGE could start to manufacture the table with a big green umbrella as an optional accessory? [p]Troy
  • Peddler
    Peddler Posts: 37
    one feral kat,[p]I've pulled my big patio table umbrella (the one that slips into a weighted base)out when it rains and it works just fine. I haven't tried it with high-temp cooking though, only up to about 400. I don't get wet and neither does my work area.

• I've used an umbrella quite a bit up here in the rainy pacific northwest. Just a cheap umbrella, with the handle cut off, hanging from a tree, with a little loop of wire to attach the umbrella to the top of the egg via that slide top bale. It works great, although.... it's a pretty smokey umbrella now! [p]Mike

• Kona Tim
    Kona Tim Posts: 35
    one feral kat,
    I do use an umbrella occasionally---but for shade on these lazy Hawaiian afternoons. Keeps the home brew from warming too quickly.
    Kona Tim

• Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Kona Tim,
    What's been happening out there in vacation land? how's the new egg treating you?[p]I just purchased a rolling nest for mine & it feels like a new egg -- no more bending over![p]Bama Fire

• Bryan
    Bryan Posts: 53
    eggroof.jpg
    <p />one feral kat,[p]Get you one of these!
    Bryan

• Kona Tim
    Kona Tim Posts: 35
    Bama Fire,
    Life is good out here, buddy----eggin it three to four times a week----wish I had known you did'nt have a nest---I'd have
    made you a real deal on mine----I have my egg mounted in my old fire pit---and there it will stay!
    See ya,[p]Tim