Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Egg

sidedish
sidedish Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am in the market for an BGE and looking for advice in what size to purchase. I have a family of 7 and do a lot of out door cooking and after several years of eating from Uncles BGE it is time for our own. any suggestions Large or XL?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Welcome to the forum. Coming from a person who doesn't have an XL, I find the large can cook for a lot of people. About once a month we cook for 26, 12 adults and young teens and younger down to ankle biters.

I would like to venture into an XL (and large) but probably would go with 2 larges.

Guessing if you family is more adults the XL would make a better choice.

It will be interesting to read what the XL owners have to say.

GG
  • Family of 7 i'd go with the XL
  • BarManBean
    BarManBean Posts: 129
    I don't have a recommendation for what size to get, i'm sure many others will chime in on that.

On the off chance that you are anywhere near Martinsburg, WV, there is an XL on craigslist for $700:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/for/2416811818.html

Good luck making your decision, either way I'm sure you'll be happy!
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Ditto from an XL owner. My son (single and 25) also has an XL. If you do a lot of entertaining, you can do a lot on it.
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    I think if I had a family of 7 I'd go with the xl. If your only getting one. ;) As many will chime in you can get a large and small for about the same price and it gives you more versatility (2 different temps). You'll love it either way and probably end up with more than one.
  • fasteddiem
    fasteddiem Posts: 212
    I'm pretty new to this as well but I have and XL and it works great...I've hosted a few parties for up to 12 people and had plenty of space. (I know that is small for what the XL can actually do) If your experience is similar to mine, I try to find as much of the meal as possible to cook on the egg...with 7, the extra space may be helpful!
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I would agree with Dale and say if you are only getting one to get the xl. However, I know if I had the money I would add a small to my Large and have the ideal combo for how I cook. I really think that a large with the Adjustable Rig from the ceramic grill store can do just as much food if not more then the xl. Good luck and no matter what way you go you will be pleased.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Do an XL. Then if you want to get another egg later like a small or medium for just quick cooks, you still have the big boy to handle large family situations. Whatever you get, you'll love it.
  • swgriggs
    swgriggs Posts: 7
    If it was me I'd get an XL... you could cook for 7 on the Large, but I bet there will be times when you'll have more than just the family round.
  • sidedish
    sidedish Posts: 8
    Thanks all for the help, looks like we should be a 2 egg family! That being said a Large and a Small it is. Again, Thanks for all of the help! And Uncle, thanks for the years of the BEST BBQ in New England!
  • ewjd
    ewjd Posts: 21
    Uncle here---congrats on finally making the conversion.Looking forward to combining our talents and showing some of these NE grillers what BBQ is.