Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Magic and..

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

... a fillet and a Koby steak.

Took a handful of lump and filled the mini all the way up top he top of the firebox, fire ring removed. Lit and got the mini to 640° dome in a jiffy. The temperature at the grate was about 850° - 900°.

mini_steak1.jpg

Seasoned the meat with some Dizzy Dust and on the mini.
mini_steak2.jpg

90 seconds later I turned the meat and began to sear the other side.
mini_steak3.jpg

Removed the grid and inserted the fire ring and Tom's Mini Woo, grid and meat.
mini_steak4.jpg

Closed down the bottom vent, DFMT off all the time and let the meat finish cooking to medium rare.
mini_steak5.jpg

That solid sear with the dizzy dust was fantastic.

It just doesn't get any better. Easy fast dinner.

GG

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Kent that post is sure to make Leroys next Mini film.
    That looks so good...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Bigjohn
    Bigjohn Posts: 144
    Options
    Looks very good. I haven't mastered the high sear yet but I'm getting there. How is the weather in Utah? We are going to visit our daughter and family in Park City at the end of the month.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Looking good Kent!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I was amazed how the Dizzy Dust tasted with that full sear. I think I will pick up the Lodge Pizza Pan for searing.

The mini is just a fun egg to use.

Kent
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Ha! You were reading my mind. I just saved it to the next Mini video folder.

Spring "Meticulous Mini Movie Maker" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Searing is like falling off a log. One way or another get the meat close to the lump bed and for steaks form 60 to 90 seconds on each side. Depending on the thickness of the meat get some distance between the meat and lump bed and shoot for about a 350° grate temperature.

If the meat is thin 3/4 or so when the sear is done the meat will be between medium rare and medium. The thermapen is a huge help in getting the final cook temperature.

The weather is odd & wet. Above 80° yesterday and tomorrow we will be back done in the 50's.

The rivers (streams) are running at max or higher, fast and cold. We have had an unusual number of drownings this year. Kids play close to the banks and slip, hypothermia hits and then...

If the weather gets hot we will have flooding in some areas and more so up north. You should have very comfortable weather and it should be very green, for our area anyway.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Love your video's Leroy. Movie maker on the loose, you are.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thanks Molly, I thought it time to get a cook post up.

Kent
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    Kent .. never had Kobe but I hear it's great. Those steaks look delicious. I agree that the mini is a lot of fun. Someone posted the other day that they were worthless, I guess he never used one. :laugh:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Nice cook Kent. You have A lot of good eating there. :P

We had a left over beef rib roast I grilled for lunch today. It was very good.

We had a lite supper tonight but, have some strip steaks lined up for tomorrow.

PS I picked up a new job today. ;)

pss I have a potential job just waiting for the go ahead.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Thank you Staci :)
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Kent I have never tried leaving out the fire ring, I'm pretty sure I have plenty of play so I'll give it a whirl. Read yesterday that mini's were a joke. Silly newbie. Filet for two on Friday night..... down close to the for thanks to you!
  • Vol Jack
    Vol Jack Posts: 35
    Options
    Been thinking about buying a Mini for the campground and tailgating.

Can you get enough lump in there to cook a butt???

2Fategghead...what town in Middle TN do you live in?
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    wow kent, those look fantastic! did you get the kobe at harmons? i have picked up a few there and they are amazing.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Got it at Snyders Brothers $18/lb, The cut was very irregular, thin on the outside edges and thick in the middle. I had to fillet it some to get an even thickness for this type of searing, hence the two small extra pieces. The good part of the irregular pieces were eating them before they got to far from the mini.

I can't remember how much you said they were at Harmons.

The fillet was about as good as the koby, however, the real deal was the sear. I have never seared that deep before. The picture in a way looks burnt but that was really good. I am not sure if it was the DP rub or just the intense heat - or combination. This cook would have been a perfect hot tub cook.

No bites on the eggs. Looks like I am going to have to re-list at a lower price or just keep them.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thanks Dale. There was a bit of flavor difference between the two cuts but I am not sure if there was that much difference though.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thanks Tim, that was a great cook. Not often one cook stands out that much better than other egg cooks. This was a big difference and I don't think it was the cut of the meat. I am going to try the same cook with some cheaper cuts of beef. This would have been a perfect hot tub cook.

Congratulations, the new job is cutting???? ... and the potential job is a different one? Nevertheless, good to hear.

Say hi to Cindy.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Staci, thanks. The grid was about 1/2 inch away from the grid, extreme heat. Lowering the grid like this is easy on the mini and I would expect the same on the small. Removing the fire ring on the medium or large will involve more weight and some heavy duty welders gloves. I used those cotton garden gloves on the mini change over.

Before I got the spider I had another grid from a previous old round grill and used to leave the grid on the fire box then place the fire ring in and the BGE grid on top of the fire ring. This cook involved a well lit lump bed and a lot of red to orange glowing lump. That results in a 900° to 1100° temperature at lump level. 1/2" above would have to be 800° to 900° if not a little higher. You can see the grid at a white stage from the heat.

I wasn't going to post this cook but the results were just too good not to share.

Be well, Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

At 250° to 300° dome I can get about 4 hours of cooking if I load the lump about to the top of the fire ring. I can get 4 to 5 shorter type cooks out of a load of lump in the mini. I need to clean it out after about 4 cooks.

Wess said the new minis were at $400. I really like the mini but I wouldn't spend that much for one, I would go with the small. If you want to do some longer cooks you will need a deeper area for the lump. There were some pictures earlier today that showed a carrier which was a upside down stand for the small. That would make a nice configuration.

Keeping those two limitations and other than the 'new' price the mini is a great second or third egg.

I can cook for the wife and I as well as a couple of smaller grand kids on the mini (more if you cook dogs/brats).

Kent
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Yes Kent, cutting grass. Thank you and hi back to Shelagh. ;)
  • huevo loco
    huevo loco Posts: 22
    Options
    That is on my list of things to do soon. Looks great.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    That's some good looking BEEF...
    Hope you had some left to make up with some Eggs this morning.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    Looks tasty... I imagine that would be a great sear.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thanks, you won't be disappointed in the cook. The type of meat isn't all that important.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: your kidding, right? The two smaller strips didn't make it 20 inches away from the grid. No left overs, even bread was used to mop up the drippings. I have never such clean plates after a meal.

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    GG,

That's some serious cookin!

These folks that keep calling the mini a joke. :laugh: Man, they sure don't get it do they? :whistle:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I have done a lot of what I now call partial searing, but this was just amazing. I am going to do the deep sear on some 'regular' cuts of meat and I expect to get the same great flavor.

• Yardawg
    Yardawg Posts: 16
    Options
    Kent, that is a nice looking sear.
    I bet it tasted real gooood!
  • Yardawg
    Yardawg Posts: 16
    Options
    Tim, congrats on the extra job.