Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

High Que Replacement Charcoal Grate

Grillin GuyGrillin Guy Posts: 302
edited 4:05AM in EggHead Forum
The Problem

37025026.jpg

The Solution

cc8ae490.jpg

Fits perfectly

80577289.jpg

I've had a broken grate for about six months now and I've been meaning to pick up another one for a while. The other day I saw on the Naked Whiz site that he was trying out this one from from high-q.com. It looked like it would allow more airflow so I ordered two of them and it came in today. It's made of 304 stainless and looks to be pretty sturdy. Warranty is 5 years but I haven't read it yet.
I fired it up to do a couple of spatchcock chickens and it took only 13 minutes to come to 400 degrees. Usually, this large egg takes about 20 minutes to get that hot. I'll let you know how it holds up.
·

Comments

• The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    Yep, so far so good with mine. I'm going to keep using it. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Looks like a good idea. Approximately how far apart are the bars? It appears a lot of the smaller pieces of lump would fall into the fire box and potentially putting more direct heat against the base of the egg, but heck that's what the warranty is for.

GG
    ·
  • BananaChipzBananaChipz Posts: 207
    I ordered one as well... waiting for it to show up.
    ·
    Kent, you can see a photo of the grid with a ruler, here: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/high-que/highq.htm Look's like 3/4"
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • Grillin GuyGrillin Guy Posts: 302
    GG, they're 9/16 wide. Here's a picture with some of the smaller pieces out of a bag of Royal Oak.

89c0995e.jpg
    ·
  • PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Looks like a lot of lump is going to drop through. The original grate is warranted for life. I've had two of them crack and BGE shipped me new ones for free ($10 shipping).
    ·
    > but heck that's what the warranty is for.

Excluding modifcations...right?
    ·
  • That will surely increas airflow. I was able to get a bunch of expanded metal for free and made my own. I have not needed a wiggle stick in years. Expanded metal alone works great for a while, but then the heat and gravity turns it into a bowl that sags so low it gets in the way of the ash tool. That takes about a year. I beefed it up. I also put some flat bar on the bottom that sticks down and keeps the grate from shifting when stirring the ashes. I hope I remember how to post pictures. MVC-005S.jpg

MVC-006S.jpg
    ·
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    Looks good. Hopefully it will remain seated while you stir the partially burned lump and not let it all fall down in the ash box. Let us know how it works.

:)
    ·

Nice write up Doug, thanks for the link.

Kent
    ·

Thank you for taking the time to take and post the pictures, very helpful.

Kent
    ·

:) :)

The grate might be a good option for the TurboGrate also.

·
    It stays in place as long as you don't hook the ash tool on one of the rods.
    The Naked Whiz
    ·

Nice idea, thanks for posting.

·
    Yeah like that's never gonna happen... :whistle:
    ·
    Good point.
    ·