Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Unique way to make naan (Indian Flat Bread) on BGE

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,
I've been trying to use my BGE to make naan for sometimes now. I would like to share findings from my the latest experiment.[p]I took a regular flower pot & cut it's top. Removed cooking grill & put inverted pot right on fire box as shown in picture[p]Pic_1.jpg[p]
[p]I let temperature go upto 700F & maintained for about half an hour. Most of the black soot on inside surface of pot was burned by then.[p]PIC_2.jpg[p]
[p]After that I rolled out about 10" diameter naan dough & slap it on the inside surface. The most important thing to do before slaping dough on the inside surface is to close the bottom vent. This will subside flames. Also it takes about 45 sec. to 1 min. for naan to cook. During this time keep bottom vent closed to reduce draft otherwise naan will dry out.
Here is the photo of partially cooked naan (after about 30 sec.)[p]Pic_3.jpg

[p]I just wanted to try this method so naan dough was hastily prepared. I will try with proper naan dough & see how does it turn out. Even this naan came out very good.

Comments

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Sujit Chokshi,[p]Great idea!! Thanks for the tip.
    I've been wanting to try naan for sometime and now I have an excuse to give it a try this weekend.

It's great to see some fresh ideas...

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Sujit Chokshi:[p]Careful with that clay pot. Heated up too quickly with trace moisture in it and it could explode exposed to high temperatures. It would be neat if you could have someone shape you a ceramic piece to your design and fire it for this purpose.[p]Like your technique, thanks for sharing . . .

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    djm5x9,[p]Wow! Thanks for THAT tip!! Don't need no pot blowing up my EGG! [p]Could you just use an inverted platesetter and a pizza stone with some spacers in between? Put the bread on the pizza stone? Just throwing out an idea that came to mind. If its already been suggested in the past, all credit goes to the original poster. [p]Mac
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Sujit Chokshi, looking at how traditional naan is made, it always appears that it is cooked on a surface that is facing the fire (i.e gravity will pull it down). Does it have to be done like that? What if you took three 9" pizza stones and leaned them against one another in a tripod like fashion. Could you cook naan on the slanted surface of those? (Naan cooked ona flat pizza stone was really good, I'm trying to figure out what suspending it does for it.)

• Wise One,
    Typically, clay walls in traditional tandoor act as massive heat sink. Brown spots on top surface of naan are mostly because of radiant/convection heat from charcoal or wood. Putting naan on flat pizza stone will provide heat only from bottom. Dome does not provide enough radiant heat because it does not get hot enough. Evidence of that is blackened dome after some use. If dome get really hot then black soot should burn off.[p]I am sure pizza stone in upright postion tilting towards burning coal would certainly work. Main problem is how to keep hot pizza stone in that position. [p]I am planning to try making naan using tilted pizza stone & if that works well then will come up with some kind of attachment to the grill.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    A small pizza stone fits nicely in a slot of the BGE rib/roast rack. The rack stands it pretty close to vertical and should work very well as a naan holder, although you may need to use caution placing the dough and removing the bread from the stone.[p]Jim
  • JSlot
    I posted below before reading your comment, Sujit. A sturdy rib rack should hold the pizza stone fairly vertical. It wouldn't take much to make a metal holder for the pizza stone, if the rack didn't suffice. Eggor? LOL.[p]Jim
  • JSlot,
    Thanks for your suggestion. It is a wonderful idea. I do have a rib rack. However, I will have to bend the first slot so that pizza stone will be at an angle so that naan will be facing hot charcoal while cooking. I will post my results soon. Thanks again.

• JSlot
    We look forward to hearing your results![p]Jim