Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charbroiled Oysters

Options
Helluva Engineer
Helluva Engineer Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We used pre-shucked oysters and crab shapped tins to charbroil some oysters last weekend. The idea came from Drago's Seafood Restaurant in New Orleans. This was a lot of fun and really good.

The full write-up is here.

IMG_0474.JPG
Butter sauce is two sticks of butter, two sticks of margarine, 3 spoonfuls of minced garlic, and some italian seasoning.

IMG_0475.JPG
Placed the oysters in the tins.

IMG_0476.JPG
Added the butter sauce to the tins.

IMG_0479.JPG
I used some of the butter sauce to flare up the fire around the oysters.

IMG_0477.JPG
Finished product. Very tasty and I will be doing this again.

Comments

• SheepDog
    SheepDog Posts: 176
    Options
  • Hey Matt, what was your dome temp? By the way those look great. I have eaten the charbroiled oysters from Dragos before and loved them.
  • guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    Options
    Thanks for this!

I've had these in New Orleans (although not from the same place). For a town full of good food, these are some of the best things I've had!

I've tried making them at home, but have never been thrilled with the results. Based on the info you have here, I think I'm going to give it another shot.

Thanks!

__Jason
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Love me some Drago's oysters! Neat idea to use the muffin tins, are you landlocked to where you can't get them in the shell?
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    If we are in the neighborhood, we stop for Drago's charbroiled oysters - they rock

Yours rock as well
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Someone posted this recipe a year or so ago and I've yet to try it. If I recall, they said it came close to the real thing.

Drago’s Oysters

2 lb. butter, softened
    1/2 cup finely chopped fresh garlic
    1 Tbs. black pepper
    1 tsp. dried oregano
    6 dozen oysters on the half shell
    1 cup grated Parmesan and Romano cheeses, mixed
    3 Tbs. chopped parsley

1. Mix butter with the garlic, pepper, and oregano.

2. Heat a gas or charcoal grill and put oysters on the half shell right over the hottest part. Spoon the seasoned butter over the oysters enough so that some of it will overflow into the fire and flame up a bit.

3. The oysters are ready when they puff up and get curly on the sides. Sprinkle the grated Parmesan and Romano and the parsley on top. Serve on the shells immediately with hot French bread.

Serves eight to twelve normal people, or two serious oyster fanatics.

I've got to try 'em or go to Drago's, or I just come to your house.

Spring "Oysters Are For Lovers" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    From the man himself. Drago's Chef.

Oysters, Grilled, Drago

INGREDIENTS:
    1/2 Dzn. Louisiana oysters
    1 Tbs butter garlic sauce (see recipe)
    Parmesan cheese and Romano cheese
    Butter & Garlic Sauce
    10 oz melted margarine or butter
    1 Tbs black pepper, white pepper, granulated garlic
    3 Tbs minced garlic

PROCEDURE:
    1 On outside grill, place half dozen oysters (on the halfshell). Put 1 tbsp. butter garlic sauce (see recipe) and sprinkle Parmesan cheese and Romano cheese on each oyster and allow to saute in shell till oysters curl. Serve hot.
    2 Caution: We recommend cooking on an outside grill because of intense heat and smoke.
    3 And of course, you can add additional flavor to any Louisiana Seafood recipe with a few shakes of TABASCO brand Pepper Sauce."

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Source: Chef Tommy Cvitanovich, Drago's:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Me LIKES!!! :) They look GREAT!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Tabasco ROCKS! :) Best "All Round" pepper sauce EVER.May be why they bottle 170,000 bottles.....per DAY. ;)
  • Helluva Engineer
    Options
    To be honest, I lit the grill, went in to gather the ingredients, and just threw them on when I returned. I wasn't really concerned with the temp since I knew I would be stoking the fire with the butter sauce. When I was shutting down I was at 600.
  • Helluva Engineer
    Options
    I was in New Orleans when we made these so shelled oysters were available but we were trying to avoid shucking.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Those look great, Matt. That is the one place that I wanted to go to when we went to NO that I was not able to make. Why are your pictures so small. Wish they were bigger so I could see them better.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Helluva Engineer
    Options
    Drago's is one of my favorite restaurants in New Orleans.

I don't know why they are so small. I set my picture size to 499 but they are iPhone pictures so that might be it.