Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Canadian bacon results

Options
MusicMan78
MusicMan78 Posts: 182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well it came out good but a little on the salty side. I did Ruhlman's recipe exactly but maybe a went a little long on the brining time. He says 48 hours. Next time I would trim the "tail" end of the loin as it took on way too much of the brine. The thicker sections are the best and I will look for a fatter more uniform loin for my next try. Now that it's sealed up can I freeze it???? For how long?

Tried to keep dome at about 225 but it crept up to almost 290 over the time of the cook over applewood. May be time to look at gasket replacement. Did a permatex copper on the mini already.
DSC00642.jpg

Finished pics

DSC00648.jpg

DSC00647.jpg

DSC00649.jpg

DSC00650.jpg

DSC00653.jpg

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Recently found a lost,in the freezer,loin buckboard 2 years old in food saver bag. Just as good as the day I cooked it.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=754371&catid=1
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Fry some up! It might taste less salty when you fry it. Or, next time, let it sit in the water rinse longer to remove the excess salt. Rinse the thinner pieces earlier than the thicker ones, and let rest in the fridge til it's all ready to be smoked. Nice effort!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • MusicMan78
    Options
    recipe just called for a rinse after brining. Any suggestions on timetable for soaking?
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    You could cut the tail end off and soak it in a different tub for shorter time. A quicker treat while you wait for the motherload.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Freezes literally forever. Expect some quality drop off at seven to ten thousand years

Unless the freezer or vacuum bag fails, then sooner

Dont use the tail end. As you discovered, you want the thicker more uniform center.
    There are a few muscles that make up the loin. I give away the 'prettie' portions that have a single muscle, and eat and keep those that are made up of a couple separate portions. Maybe i imagine it, but seems to be a little more fat and flavor.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    Your thin end was the problem

Ruhlman's recipes are generally not overly salty. He cures for a shorter period too, compared to other methods. with bellies he goes about six days, no soak out required

Nitrites act quickly, and so any extebded time really seems tomdo nothing more than allow more time for more salt

Try thicker portions for the loin bacon, and follow his timing to the letter. You should also adjust recipes if your meat weighs differently than what the recipe calls for
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    The thinner sections will take the cure differently, (cure time is based on thickness), but that loin does taper off thinner than most.

The saltiness has to do with the soak out time and resting time before smoking. A lot of cookbook authors overlook mentioning some options along these lines. I've never figured that out.

As far as freezing cured meats, rancidity is your enemy. You can reduce the off flavors associated with this if you vacuum seal packages. But a good rule of thumb is to use cured meats while they are fresh. If you do freeze things like bacon, use it within 30 or 45 days.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,769
    Options
    a quick rinse of the slices before frying will help alot with the salt, i over salted one a while back but it was perfect fried with eggs after a 2 second rinse
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BananaChipz
    BananaChipz Posts: 207
    Options
    Looks good, but I always find it interesting what Americans call "Canadian Bacon"... Just sayin.. :)
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Options
    I really goofed the last time I made (belly) bacon, I soaked tooooo well, and when it came time for munchin', I was totally dismayed to discover "no taste".
    I "diluted" all that yummmy flavor away.... :(

I don't remember exactly how long I soaked out for but not wanting to duplicate a batch that was overly salty once before, I'm thinking it was (dumb, I know...) something like 2 days.

I put it all out in the pasture and fed the 'yotes.

RicklesssssssS in Oregon
  • stike
    Options
    it's called 'canadian' bacon simply because the vast majority of bacon down here is from the belly and people associate loin bacon with canadian 'peameal bacon', which is also made from the loin.

doesn't mean it's from canada necessarily.

if people don't see much cured loin bacon, except for in canada, you can maybe excuse them for referring to it as canadian bacon.

i'm pretty sure you refer to those things at McDonald's as 'french fries' even though you know they aren't from france. :laugh:

what's with the recent run of telling us all howwrongwe are, anyway? we already know we're stupid, but it ain't cool to keep pointing it out.
  • stike
    Options
    if you time the cure correctly, i don't understand the need for soaking out. some methods call for it (usually the prepackaged cures), but i don't often see it called for when the method calls for a home-made cure. i wonder if the commercial cures play safe and advocate over-curing, then correct for it with a soak out. would be interesting to hear what thirdeye thinks.
  • MusicMan78
    Options
    Today when I tried some from the thick sections it tasted alot less salty and the pieces that I took to work for my co-workers to try went over pretty well. I think that I tainted my tastebuds by eating from the over salty thin section. Next time I will pay more attention to the 48 hour brine time (I may have been off by some hours) and will use a more uniform loin.
  • stike
    Options
    a few hours won't hurt, it's an extra day or so that will do it :laugh:

i really think you can attribute it to the thin, tapering end. you'll find the ends and edges of bacon will often taste saltier. that tapering bit simply gave you a much bigger chunk in which to notice it
  • BananaChipz
    Options
    You sayin' i'm on a roll? :)

Ohh c'mon.. give us Canucks a little bit of patriotism.. You know full well if I made fun of an iconic American food, you'd have Seal Team 6 at my door :)
  • fishlessman
    Options
    is that what burrows calls it, a bit if patriotism, looked more like a bite :laugh: ;) game 4 tonight
    fukahwee maine

• BananaChipz
    Options
    I think there are more Boston fans here in Toronto, than Vancouver fans :) It's an "original 6" thing.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Besides,

The bruins have more Canuck players than any of the Canadian teams

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    Options
    sad isnt it
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    think it was an honest mistake when they engraved boston on the cup in 72 as Bqstqn, maybe thats how little steven spells it :laugh: im just so glad we are not watching some wanna be florida team playing some other wanna be california team
    fukahwee maine

• BananaChipz
    Options
    Not really sad... It's OUR GAME :) :P
  • BananaChipz
    Options
    LOL.. good point.

Someday my beloved Leafs will be there again... '67 was a long time ago...