Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

O.T. Geeks/Windows 7 H. Prem.

Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry, don't have time for the O.T. forum.
I have vista home premium, if I wish to go to windows 7 home. Prem. Am I better off buying the full version???

Disregard installation, will my system be better starting from scratch with the full version with a clean install???

Looking for a simple answer

Thanks,
Bordello

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    I assume that with Vista on your current system you do not have a 64bit processor. I am no expert, but I thought windoze 7 was for 64bit processors, i3,i5 etc.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Bordello
    Yes,
    My system is 64 bit.

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • loco_engr
    SYS Req:

Required Processor
    1 GHz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

Required Memory
    1 GB RAM (32-bit) / 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

Required Hard Disk Space
    16 GB available disk space (32-bit) / 20 GB (64-bit); for the download version, an additional 3 GB is required

HTH
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Bordello
    System is fine for W. 7 I've just hear and have read that it's better to do the full version with a clean install so not to have any problems with bad files that may be transferred.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • loco_engr
    I my limited knowledge base :ermm: I have to agree with
    formating the HD and then the install.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I think it is best to do a clean install. I could be wrong, but I think the upgrade version vs the full version is just for licensing. If you purchased a version of vista or XP, you are entitled to Win7 at a discounted price. I think you can still choose a clean install if you purchase the "upgrade" product.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    I've always been a believer of doing a fresh install. I would back up what I want to keep and do a full install...

maybe the upgrades have gotten better... I don't know.

FWIW... I am currently in the process of building a server and picked up a solid state hard drive. the performance is fantastic. not cheap... but if you can find one on sale, it's well worth it.
    context is important :)
  • loco_engr
    I'm in the category,
    "If you have to ask, you can't afford it!"

:unsure: :silly: :laugh:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • Bordello
    Sorry it took so long to get back to you but thanks a heap for the input. Full version with a clean install it is.

Many thanks,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    Thanks also for your input. Clean install and full version it is.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • edg1
    edg1 Posts: 86
    As a geek who has dealt with MicroSoft over many years, get a new computer. Do NOT upgrade your existing machine.

Odds are, your existing machine does not have the power to run W7 as rapidly as it does Vista. Simple as that. You would need to max out your machines RAM to get any performance, with 4GB as a bare minimum. 8GB would be better.

And there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions of W7.

If, perchance, you decide to upgrade, get a portable USB hard drive and back up your existing HDD first. Everything. Been there, regretted that.

Just one persons opinion.

edg
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    This is correct. With a valid Vista, you can legally get the upgrade. I did this for all 6 computers in my house about a week after Win7 was released (I was running the release candidates for the year previous to that - lots of fun!).

It's child's play to use the upgrade to do a clean install .... and you want to do a clean install. The upgrade from Vista leaves all sorts of Vista bird droppings laying around - not a goodness. One good place to get step-by-step instructions on how to accomplish is here --->

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402-clean-install-upgrade-windows-7-version.html?ltr=C&filter[2]=General%20Tips

I have disagree with edg1 about the system upgrade. I installed on a very, very old laptop that struggled with running WinXP and it ran Win7 Ultimate sooooo much better. Still did a lot of page swapping, etc, but it ran it much better than WinXP.

But, really, if you haven't bought it yet, get the upgrade. It's the same software as the full version but cheaper. And, getting a clean install from the upgrade is quite easy.
  • Bordello
    Hi,
    It's early a.m. here and I just saw your post so will look into it later today. I was aware that you could do a clean install with the upgrade but didn't know much about it. I will read the link you provided.

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • BB1857
    BB1857 Posts: 131
    Depending on what your reasoining is to upgrade your OS you may want to consider waiting until Windows 8 comes out next year.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Morning Bob, hope all is well.

Is there any specific reason to go to the extra expense and effort to upgrade?

Last time I checked there is NO upgrade path from any version of window to Win7.

If you can at all afford it get the Win7 Professional version. There are some useful features in this version.

Probably your least expensive option is an OEM product. Be careful when buying some folks will sell a 'KEY' which has been reported to go bad in about 90 Days. Make sure you get a 'real version' which will have a COA, certificate of authentication sticker - but don't affix it to the system.

I would back up your documents, pictures and important files and then do a clean install.

As I recall your system isn't that old. Win7 will(should) install 32 or 64 bit. If you system will support 64 bit then use that.

In Vista you can execute the file System Information and that should tell you if your system will run 64 bit. Look at the line which states 'System Type' you will see 'x64' or 'x32'. I am not sure if that line is reporting how the system is set up now or the system capabilities. You could also google or go to your system brand home page, type in the model and look at the original specs.

Kent
  • BananaChipz
    BananaChipz Posts: 207
    Actually, most hardware that ran XP well will run Win 7 as well or better.

Win 7 has been optimized quite a bit over Vista (lots of Kernel optimizations for the geeks in the room). The result is greater processor efficiency. Some people even say it breathes new life into older hardware.

If it's running Vista now, it'll run WAY better on 7..

I have a bit of an *inside* view on this stuff :)
  • BananaChipz
    Actually there is an upgrade path from Vista to Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7

Do not get Win7 pro unless you are joining to a domain or need Remote Desktop Services

Get Windows Home Premium... It has everything you'll need including Windows Media Centre.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Hey Bob,

There is no such as an upgrade to W7. It is a totally different everything. It will ask you if you want to try and upgrade and even mentions things like saving your my documents and stuff but it won't and can't do that.

Make sure you have everything copied on a different drive. I lost a few things just by not paying attention to getting everything.

The version differences are not as extreme in the 7 line as they were in previous editions.

I would definitely jump to 7 from Vista. I don't even think Windows is supporting Vista anymore. Bump up your RAM to 4 or 8 or more gigs ( I have 10 currently) and life will be grand.

Also upgrade your browser, preferably to something like Firefox or Google Chrome and you'll be amazed at how much better the web looks. There are a lot of things that IE does not support, and web developers are getting sick of pandering to IE and "dumbing down" there sites.
  • BananaChipz
    Amazing how much people don't know ...

Ok.. so let's correct:

- There is an upgrade path from Vista...

- Windows doesn't support anything. Microsoft is the company, and yes Vista is still supported. There is a 5 year mainstream and 5 year extended support lifecycle for operating systems. So 10 years total.

- 8GB RAM is a good plan.. RAM is cheap

- IE9 supports the HTML5 standard (as does Firefox and Chrome), is more secure, and provides hardware accellerated html5 rendering.
    http://www.timacheson.com/Blog/2011/feb/ie9_the_fastest_web_browser

There is no dumbing down of sites. Prior to IE6's release, the W3C waffled on the standard, and weren't close to releasing it. Microsoft forged-ahead with some browser features that the W3C didn't end up adopting. Since then the "newer browsers" have adopted open standards, thus Web developers were forced to make some concessions in there code for IE specific rendering.

This is now moot.. IE6 is dead (except for dinasour company holdouts). IE9 is one of the most HTML5 compliant browsers, and is really kick ass

Having said that, Chrome and Firefox are fine too. I just hate when I hear FUD....
  • BananaChipz
    Your upgrade path will depend on the version of Vista you have..

Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium
    Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional
    Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate

Any other combination will have to do a fresh install. In any case, it's probably nice to do a clean install, depending on how much crap has accumulated on your drives.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Not to pick at you but IE did zero development for almost 6 years when IE 6 came out. That is 6 years out of less than 20 of the internet being used by the public.

HTML5 is ok and is supported in the IE9 but CSS3 is not and 100% of the new development is being done using that. When you deal with CSS if a browser does not support it it ignores it so IE ignores a lot of things and developers have to put in IE specific CSS or sometimes no CSS.

I am part of several CSS and general development communities and the consensus now is that the world is not going to wait on MS to catch up, when they have more money than all the other platforms put together 10 times over. So you will start to see a lot of sites with zero support for IE and only using CSS3. Some sites are even hiding code in CSS3 that only IE will diplay asking folks to upgrade to a fully supported browser.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of MS and have used them since DOS. Just because I am fan does not mean I am blind to the shortcomings.

Sounds like you are a part of the MS community, which is great. I bow to your explanation of the support behind Vista. I know MS would go back and skip Vista if they could back in time about 4 yesrs.

Have a great day and understand I just spent a ton of time coding a website and had to do some extra stuff to support IE 6 through 8. So I am bit jaded atm.
  • Grandpas Grub

Thx for the info on Vista to Win7 and clarifying version to version upgrade (below).

Why not go to Pro vs. H. Prem with apx. $25 difference?

GG
  • BananaChipz
    True.. If you can get it for 25 more then it's probably worth it.
  • BananaChipz
    NP Chief... no malice intended...

I actually work for Microsoft, so ya, I'm kinda close to it. :)

I didn't know about the CSS3 support. Going to look into it.
  • BananaChipz
    Not sure if you've seen this, but it's been revised lately.. It outlines our Standards support in IE9

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/ff468705.aspx
  • Bordello
    :(
    LOL
    Didn't know there was one coming out. Think I will go back to drinking. :angry:

Just kidding about the drinking, thanks for the heads up on the new one, I didn't know.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    Thanks and I really mean it. There is so much info that sometimes it's hard to sort it all out.

I so appreciate the help.

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    This is the best I could find.

Processor Intel (R) Core (TM) Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10 GHZ

System 64 bit

Just thought I put that out there, I'm sure it means more to you then to me. I need computer Dummy 101 :lol:

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    Well I do have the 4 GB of Ram and I do use google chrome.

More replies to read.

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • Grandpas Grub

hehehe you don't need dummy 101, just the forum.

If upgrading from vista to 7 keep in mind you need to stay with the version of vista to the same version in 7.

Why are you upgrading? Also, just read in another post Win 8 is coming out next year????

I really like 7 over XP, world of difference. I have a vista machine but haven't used it much more than a few hours.

When you have questions, ask. As you can see from the posts there is some good info.

Kent