Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill pad installed, back to Eggin\'

Options
Buckwoody Egger
Buckwoody Egger Posts: 674
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
After a two year hiatus, the Egg is out of storage and set up in it's rightful place. Why the delay? Sold a house, got married, lived in an apartment while we house shopped. Balus Creek Egger was my old handle and now I am Buckwoody Egger.

This grill pad is small at approx 5' x 11', but it's the first (of course!) part of the "outdoor living area". Just 6x6 PT lumber (2 deep) with crusher run then paver sand and pavers. Big little project. Also included demolishing the cemented-in and decades old natural gas line grill.

No food pics yet, we were cooking all Memorial Day weekend while finishing it up. Egg in the nest for a spatchcock chicken, filets/ribeyes and a 3 pack of ribs. One slab had Carnivore Robust sauce on the Dizzy Pig coffee infused rub. Yum! The other two were Jacks Old South rub (insert classic Myron profane boast here) and Sweet Baby Ray's.

Happy Eggin!

grillpad1.jpg
grillpad2.jpg

Comments

• Rafter R
    Rafter R Posts: 120
    Options
    did you use red oak? do you have to drill pilot holes and counter sink?
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Nice work! I look forward to watching your outdoor living area unfold.
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Dimples Mom-- Thanks! It will be a while, lots of house projects to do while ribs are smokin'!!

Rafter-- if you are asking about the table-- it is cypress 1x4's which are a little soft-- so I don't remember pre-drilling. I think we just soaped the stainless screws and drove them in.

If you are asking about the border of the grill pad-- it is 6"x6" pressure treated pine, 2 timbers high. Predrilled the lower and upper timbers in separate spots with, I believe, a 3/8" bit. The lower timbers have 24" rebar spikes into the ground. The uppers have 10" galvanized nail spikes that go into both timbers. To "seat" the nail spikes on top, I did a homemade countersink using a 3/4" boring bit just going in about 1/8" to seat the nail head.