Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sockeye Salmon

Options
Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We have some of those small frozen Wild Caught sockeye filets from Sams. In the past I have tried some with my "go to" salmon recipe - DP Raging River (hvy) plus a lite coating of DP Shaking the Tree. The strong flavor of the sockeye (and dryness) didn't seem to blend well with the sweetness of the Raging RIver rub. Soooo tonight I tried a different combo:
EVOO coating, then medium (not too much) coating of DP Shaking the Tree. Then I decided to add the zest from about 1/4 lemon (to both filets) and finished with a sprinkling of dried dill weed. Rested until the fire in the small was hot.
DSC_0422.jpg
450* dome, elevated direct cook.
DSC_0423.jpg
Coated grid with cooking oil, then grilled fish - flesh down - for 90 seconds. Flipped and finished skin down until done.
DSC_0425.jpg
DSC_0426.jpg
Plated with oven-roasted veggies (squash and zukes from the Earthbox garden) and limas with okra (also from the garden).
DSC_0427.jpg
Results: The salmon was better - still slightly drier (pulled at 119-120* internal and rested under foil) than the farm-raised Atlantic salmon we usually get. I think a lot has to do with the sockeye fat content. Overall - great meal!

Comments