Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini egg?

Options
A.J.
A.J. Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thinking about getting a small egg to take to lake house instead of hauling large back and forth. How big and what all can I fit on a small? Is it worth the money

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Small and Mini are different. The mini is pretty small and mostly good for direct cooks. The small is 13" diameter and big enough to do like 6 big burgers. I have done (2) 7 pound shoulders on their side in my small. With the small v rack you could get probably 2 racks of ribs but it would be a little tight. I use my small and mini more than my larges.
  • AustinTX-Egger
    Options
    It has about an 8" diameter grate on it (subtracting out the fire ring), and a lower top height.

Worth $300???

Value is in the eye of the beholder. For 1-2 people, it may be just fine. I have a family of 4 and the small size was too limiting for the price.

I sometimes wish the BGE folks would make some carrying handles built into the sides of the ceramic. The larger eggs are not very mobile.

That's my 2 cents.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    You can do this on the Mini:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYGge_k7FUI

You can do about 70% more on the Small.

Your choice.

Spring "Small Is Heavier" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Gandy Dancer
    Gandy Dancer Posts: 273
    Options
    A small is the way to go. You can cook anything on the small that you can on the large. It only 65 lbs. so very portable.

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG
    I take mine with me all the time.

IMG_2680.JPG
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    This should help you out.

http://www.potlifter.com/

I cook indirect on my mini all the time.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    Here is a thread that you started.

Great inspiration and a fantastic tribute to the MINI Big Green Egg. ;)

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=941464&catid=1

Thanks for it!

BOB
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Yes, I remember the post very well. I was amazed at the creativity of all those who submitted photos. I'm already collecting new Mini-Cook photos as they are posted and I will probably combine them into a second video. It may take a while though.

Thanks for the reminder.

Spring "Creativity Is A Limitless Path" Chicken
  • huevo loco
    huevo loco Posts: 22
    Options
    I like the setup with that table. Nice carrying handles. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    How many are you cooking for- that's the real question.

I have a Mini so I am going to say that yes, on a small you can still cook a LOT!!

I was in a store over the weekend and was amazed at how large the small is (remember, I'm used to a mini)!

I think it would be an eggcellent choice.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I love the mini and use it most of all. I seldom use the small and medium eggs. When cooking for the wife and maybe 2 or 3 of the younger grand kids the mini is great.

However, if the mini now is $400 I would look at the small over the mini.

Depending on what I cook, I can get about 4 cooks on one load of lump in the mini (about enough lump to fill both hands cupped together).

GG