Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grate for Large BGE

Options
mtnbikeninja
mtnbikeninja Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went out and bought the cast iron grate for searing steaks and chops. How is the best way to season this thing?

Thanks,

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Use it. Any thing you season it with will burn off on your first cook.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Don't

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I'm no eggspert...but how bout couple of nice n' fatty bone in rib eyes! ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I sprayed mine down good with Pam for Grilling spray, then just heated it with the Egg. I don't have anything to compare it to though, but its working fine... :ermm:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    Options
    As others have mentioned, don't bother with seasoning the grid - it will just burn off eventually.

Typically, after cooking, I let the Egg cool down a bit, and then I wipe some oil onto the grid. This will help prevent rust from forming while it sits.

Seasoning the cooking grid is an exercise in futility... sort of like washing the treads on your car tires.

__Jason
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    The above are correct, seasoning will burn off quickly, but FYI, any CI that you buy that is black is pre-seasoned, grey is raw iron.
    BGE grids are preseasoned, but it dosen't last long.
    My 2 cts, cook on it, don't clean it :) :P :)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I think the key must be - NO CLEANING. I have used my CI grid for almost every cook since I got my large in August '09. I have never cleaned or oiled it. I do brush it from time to time (mostly after a butt cook where there's a lot of stuff stuck on there). Otherwise, I just keep cookin'. My food doesn't stick to the grid and I have seen ZERO rust.

And I have never had any gastrointestinal distress. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut