Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

LC's Pork Roulade

LitLit Posts: 3,650
edited 9:00PM in EggHead Forum
Saw a post last week about this recipe from the cookbook and thought I would give it a shot. I got a 10lb loin which next time I will cut in half or maybe even thirds. Pulled at 149 degrees which next time I will pull at 140 or maybe even a couple degrees less because this came out a little dry. The stuffing from this recipe is really good and simple to make. Total cook time even with the big loin was only about 2 hours.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg
·

Comments

• WingRiderWingRider Posts: 326
    I think that I usually pull the roulade when it reaches 135-140*
    ·
  • SheepDogSheepDog Posts: 176
    What's the trick to cutting these loins like that?
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,650
    Thats the first time I had ever done it. I just cut an inch or 2 and then felt what I had just cut and then adjust the next cut depending on the thickness of the last. Came out pretty good. I also took the whet stone to my knife right before to make sure it was razor sharp. Hopefully somebody knows a trick because I think I got pretty lucky.
    ·
  • c tredwellc tredwell Posts: 575
    Good lookin cook Preston! :)
    ·
  • WingRiderWingRider Posts: 326
    practice....practice....practice
    ·
  • Bear 007Bear 007 Posts: 343
    Nice job, I usually pull mine at 135-140 also.
    ·
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    looks great! love that cook!
    ·
    Thanks Chris!
    ·
    First time I checked the temp it was 139, wish I would have pulled it then. Maybe 10 minutes later it was pushing 150. Lesson learned.
    ·
  • Mr HollowayMr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Very nice
    This is a cook I need to practice :)

Shane
    ·
  • Bear 007Bear 007 Posts: 343
    It doesn't take long once it hits 130.
    ·
  • Very nice B)

Isn't it good to know you CAN DO a lot of dishes you would have never attempted before joining the Egghead Forum :woohoo:
    ·
  • Egg JujuEgg Juju Posts: 658
    Looks delicious... those whole loins can be quite large.

Mighty fine eats you got there.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
    ·
  • DrZaiusDrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Man that looks really good. Thanks
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
    ·
  • Boilermaker BenBoilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    SheepDog wrote:
    What's the trick to cutting these loins like that?

It's really much easier than it looks, and is very quick. Place the loin on the cutting board so that it's pointing away from you. Hold your knife with the blade horizontal, and about an inch above the cutting board. Make a series of even cuts along the bottom of the loin, stopping when you are an inch from the far side of the loin. "Unroll" the loin away from what you have cut, so you now have a smaller looking loin, with a 1" thick flap hanging from it. Beginning again where you left off with the previous cut, continue slicing and unrolling, until you have completely unrolled the loin. If you have been careful to keep your knife blade horizontal, and always the same distance from the board, you should have a rectangular piece of pork of a very even thickness.

Season it, slather it with some kind of sauce, add other stuffing ingredients. Re-roll. Tie (or better yet, wrap in bacon and then tie). Season the outside. Roast.
    ·
  • Zogman100Zogman100 Posts: 69
    Giving this a try tonight, and your wrapping in Bacon suggestion is being added to the mix. :evil:
    ·