Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

applied science: egg heat transfer

Options
biggreenmatt
biggreenmatt Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Non-science guy trying to understand the mechanism by which the egg works it's magic.

Is it fair to say that the chief difference between the egg and conventional grill barbecues is its ability to transfer heat by convection as well as radiation? Can the egg simply be described as a lump coal-powered convection oven? I mean, at lower temperatures, it's basically ONLY convection, especially with the plate setter in.

Any applied science threads on the board?

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I'll just stick with "magic." It's easier for me to understand.

Spring "Green Magic Is Good Magic" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I'm not a major science guy, but IMHO I believe that the BGE operates very much like a convection oven and especially so with the place setter in place.
    My 2 cents
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Looked it up for you. Here is the equation for radiant and convective heat transfer.
    Q = -hA(Ts – T).
    It is too late and too many years since I thought about this. Go for it :whistle:
    ;)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    Don't overlook the ability to maintain and even temperature due to its thermal mass... Or the moisture retaining characteristics due to less airflow through the cooker. (Made possible, of course, by the ceramic thermal mass which retains the heat way better than metal). Those are important differences from other "convection" BBQ's.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC01122a.jpg

Radiation? Yes, I think that may have something to do with it.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Yep, once you understand something, it is no longer magic. And then where's the fun.....
    The Naked Whiz
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I'll offer that it the Egg's superior moisture and heat retention.

There is some convection. I don't think that plays a major role, because for lo-n-slo, the air flow is almost completely shut down. There was a discussion a week or so ago about the possibility of automated blower mechanisms speeding cooking thru higher airflow, but that was discounted.

In fact, the more I think about it, the less I think convection has to do with it. Metal cookers use lots more fuel. Even well sealed ones do, at least in my experience. The more fuel that is burnt, the more air that must pass thru the chamber. Therefore, there is usually less airflow in an Egg, unless being used for searing.

Higher humidity makes heat transfer work better, and it keeps the food surface from drying out. I'd have to look it up, but higher humidity may also help smoke flavors accumulate on the food.

And, then of course, there are the multitudes of burnt offerings that appease the great "Q.
  • biggreenmatt
    Options
    gdenby wrote:
    I'll offer that it the Egg's superior moisture and heat retention.

There is some convection. I don't think that plays a major role, because for lo-n-slo, the air flow is almost completely shut down.

Not being a science guy, the convection thought came to me by trial and error. Only owned my egg for a week, but last night I bought a chicken, found an egg recipe for time and temperature and threw it on. My 4 pound spatchcocked bird came off beautifully, and in much less time than it would in the oven. A four pounder would ordinarily take an hour forty-five (at least) but more importantly, the bird actually tasted different- much jucier than in an oven or even a rotisserie. Then it occurred to me that the cooking method (don't open the oven; regulate heat by airflow, serious heat retention, more even cooking/baking, food dries out less etc., etc.)are the hallmarks of a convection oven, rather than a grill-barbecue, which cooks by radiation (heat directly originating from a primary source).

Think of it thusly: when we smoke something, we're indulging in low-temp convection- heating food by passing "flavoured air" (a.k.a.: smoke) around it, slowly penetrating the product.

I agree though, that when we sear, the direct radiant heat is strong enough that the "convection" part doesn't enter into it as much as would at lower temperature.

Hmm. Seems I need an engineer.
  • woody's wood pit
    Options
    as an old engineer, I loved the answers...the equation from Austin Egghead, and the hazmat egg from Thirdeye (we need to get into your name sometime)...

All it you have is a great way to cook that holds moisture into the meat and controls the heat better than most other cooking systems...don't over study it... remember study long and you study wrong...

I think i have joined an on line cult!???! an I hate computers

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Woody:
    You are 100% correct on both counts.... ;)
    Welcome to the CULT!!!!!!
    And, over thinking can be a VERY bad thing!
    Let alone the oven thing....The Egg will get me some good heat for the wok. "Shrimp Something" on the menu for tonight.