Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Franken Egg

Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Some time ago I embarked on a mission to build a second large egg out of unsightly, chipped, cracked, broken, & otherwise defective, unwanted & discarded parts of old eggs. Several different eggs contributed to this build. My thought was that I could at least make a run at assembling them into a usable smoker. I picked up some JB Weld & got to work:

001.jpg

The box.

Problem: obliterated after years of abusive pizza cooks:

002-1.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Butter up all surfaces:

005.jpg

007.jpg

Smash it all together with some weight:

010.jpg

All done & ready for action:

100.jpg

The ring.

Problem: broken in 2 nearly equal pieces, very difficult to remove from the egg:

125.jpg

JB welded together:

131.jpg

102.jpg

The dome.

Problem: defective glazing, chunks just randomly popped out (rescued from the trash from a buddy of mine):

013.jpg

014.jpg

The hinge/bands.

Problem: Poolman thought he was a metallurgist & fabricator :laugh: (seriously, thanks to poolman, I got a slightly defective but useable system – dude, have you gotten my emails???):

012.jpg

Couple new nuts & bolts:

011.jpg

Didn’t want to stay open without help initially:

017.jpg

The base:

Problem: Massive crack that went down the back & almost half way to the center of the bottom, you could see light through it. Painted over it with JB weld, thought being if I could stop the air flow through the crack, it may stop or slow additional cracking:

007.jpg

Inside:

132.jpg

Outside:

126.jpg

133.jpg

Everything assembled inside the egg:

155.jpg

The Table.

Problem: didn’t really have a problem other than it had to be retrofitted to fit the large. I originally built this table for the mini. After I built the hut, the mini now sits on the stone table & this old wooden table has become basically extra prep space. I figured I could modify it & sink the new old egg in it:

148.jpg

Popped out the paver I sunk in the top:

149.jpg

150.jpg

Cut the hole out to 22 inches in diameter:

151.jpg

After lowering the bottom shelf about 3 inches, I slid that puppy in:

152.jpg

Rear view (had to notch out the rear fascia board to make room for the hinge):

153.jpg

All of a sudden the dome wanted to stay open without wooden plank assist:

154.jpg

Given all the cracks & breaks & JB Weld in this thing, it will live out its days as a dedicated smoker & low temp griller. I’m thinking nothing in excess of 300 degrees. Accordingly, for her maiden voyage, she will cook a batch of hot wings ala nature boy, my new (for about a year) preferred method. Anywhere from 250 – 300 raised direct for one hour, flip, one more hour, remove. By far the best wings I’ve ever made are using this format. We’ll do that next weekend
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Those are warranty parts sir! You must cease and desist from using that egg immediately

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Nice job Marc! I'll stop by for some wings. :woohoo:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Great job on the multi fixes. He!! I bet that egg will last a very long time. Have a great wing cook. Tim ;)
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Hey that looks like a fun project...egg rescue/rehab by Dr. Frankinstine... "It's ALIVE!" :laugh:
    Nice work Marc, my hat's off to ya. :cheer: I would jump at the chance for a rescue but an egg sighting is noneggsistant let alone a discarded egg.

Now there could be the slightest chance the epoxy gets cooked in the firebox part so you might want to con-cider a firebucket liner for the lump to burn in. Just sayin.

IMG_4585.jpg

Have fun!
  • Zippylip
    Clay, where can I get one of those, I thought the same thing. I have a feeling this thing may cave in on itself in short order. Someone suggested building an expanded metal fire box ala UDS, but I have no metal fabrication skills or tools. That bucket looks like the ticket though.

Another thought I had was to keep the box filled with lump, & keep low/slow fires in the center... usually following a low/slow, the lump is burned from the top down in the center & the outer edges are intact, that may prolong its life. I'd rather have that bucket in there
    happy in the hut
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    hey man, that turned out great. what was the deal with poolman's hinge? i didn't see the problem

did you carve out the crack in the base a bit (vee groove)? or did you just apply the jbweld on top of the crack (bridging it)?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Zippylip
    well, I just slopped it on, didn't think about carving out the crack with anything (& don't have any tools that would do that); I suppose that was a mistake as I have since read an entire Kamodo restoration process where that was done. I figure if the crack continues to travel I will have to figure out how to do that, of course it'll be harder now that I assed it all up with JB Weld :laugh: :ermm:
    happy in the hut
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Nice job on the rebuild Marc! Enjoy.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Nice work Marc. I presume the egg is officially named Franken - maybe we're related. :huh:

And Zippy was overseeing the whole process as seen in the penultimate photo. B)
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Dude...sell it on craigslist..LOL..the band is yours whenever you want it...and I finally made celebrity status...I got a mention in a forum superstars signature with over 17000 posts..woo hoo I am somebody..man I'm gonna sleep good tonight..
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Hey Zip, the 2 vertical pieces that connect the upper and lower bands are the only thing I modified :whistle::blush: :laugh: If you fix that it's good as new :laugh:
  • Zippylip
    I noticed that :laugh: ; I couldn't get it to open when I first put it on, had to muscle it open but it wouldn't go all the way up. I played around with the bolt positioning on the vertical plates & found a good spot to tighten them eventually. Is that a Sparky handle on there?
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    did you get my email? The current band is working, but it is making some scary sounds, like the springs are under tremendous tension going up & down. If you have tikifest again this year perhaps I'll pick up the band if you still have it then
    happy in the hut
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Yes thats a Sparky special,, dude does good work on wood just a horrible electrician :laugh:
    Just kidding Sparks
    If you look at those 2 small pieces you will see where I made the hole longer when all I really needed to do was just remove the springs before tightening the band. So now I'm not allowed to play with power tools around the eggs or the car :angry:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Funny how you keep reading my posts

And thanks for referring to me as a forum superstar. It means a lot coming from you, because I can remember when you were a superstar here too.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • WessB
    Yes I did get your e mail..I didn't respond because it was a given that it's your if you want it.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    The bucket is an inexpensive stainless salad mixing bowl. I drilled the holes and added a bail for easy lifting in and out. The lumpbucket makes cleaning old lump out a snap as well. This would definitely reduce heat and stress to the epoxy no matter which way the fire goes.

Measure the inside of your firebox(top and bottom width, height to firering)and go find a mixing bowl to fit inside those dimensions. Target, Shop Co, Goodwill, BedBathBeyond, those kind of places could have a close fit. And you do want a close fit so you will have room for plenty of lump for the low-n-slows.

A drill and a 1/2" bit can do the job. Smaller holes just mean a few more holes to make up for larger holes.

Expanded metal won't do it, you gotta have a bucket and holes in the bottom where the source of air is.

IMG_4356.jpg

Happiness is a good rock solid fire...

IMG_4586.jpg

Good luck, wish I lived down the street from you, I got the tools and beer to get'er done.
  • WessB
    Well...and I say this very loosely " my friend" that is where you are sadly and grossly mistaken...I have never been, nore considered myself a "superstar" don't care to be, never strived to be and most certainly never wanted to be a superstar...I'm a redneck backyard cooker that believes in a good product and tries to help others learn to enjoy what I enjoy...I don't come on this forum posting under fake names like you and your friends do....and I always call it like I see it....if I'm wrong I apologize...bad advice does noone any good...and since you didn't want to resolve this man to man we are left here airing our differences on a public forum...no love lost..get off my ass..
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    very crafty and creative. Plus the price was right! :)
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Zip,

Nice job, man. If you will ever need to 'v' it out, a Dremmel tool would handle the job and is a very handy tool to have around.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    cant tell from the pic of the band, is the handle bracket welded or bolted on. welded was the old original mexican bands, mine used to break springs, bge eventually sent me a new replacement band, lots of problems with those bands
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Great project Zip
    I will be giving that wing method a try :)

Shane
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Are those Kingsford briquets in the back ground??? :whistle:
    Good work on the egg Marc :)
  • Zippylip
    On advice from the master fabricator himself (that’d be Clay Q), I ordered a 12 quart stainless steel salad bowl & drilled some holes in it (only the bottom, on his advice). Purpose is to act as a heat barrier between the burning lump & the compromised box, as well as for convenience:

001-1.jpg

Didn’t buy a new grate, rather, borrowed the grid from the mini, fits beautifully:

002-2.jpg

Popped the bucket in:

005-1.jpg

Some lump:

006-1.jpg

This is where it got weird. We haven’t had a drop of rain in weeks, it’s been hot & nasty though. When I went out to fire this thing up to do the test burn, I noticed some dark clouds rolling in but didn’t think much of it. As I lit the chimney, it got really dark & the wind started blowing strong. A few minutes later when the chimney was smoking away, so was the storm. As I was dumping the lit lump into the Franken Egg, it was a full-on storm complete with lightening, high wind, & rain. It is most certainly ALIVE :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

008-1.jpg

Anyway, after dumping in the lit lump, it took about 5 minutes to reach 250, I dialed the lower damper to about ¼ inch & she held 250 on the dot for over an hour. I then opened the door to about a 1/2 inch bringing the temp up to 300 & held it steady for a while then shut it down. Tomorrow I will assess the condition of all the welds, in addition to the salad bowl.

015-1.jpg

Saturday, we cook
    happy in the hut