Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freezing a pork butt before cooking (timing)

Options
bcrawfo2
bcrawfo2 Posts: 85
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When I cook pork butt, I usually want it for dinner. This makes me start the cook after my bedtime (I have a toddler and go to bed at 10pm) and then push the time in the cooler to the limit (4+ hours).
So...I read about cooking a frozen butt and have been wondering if I could use that to my advantage. Could I put a butt on at say 8pm and the frozen/thawing slow me down enough to get me closer to dinner time. I figure I'd have to delay putting in a meat probe until morning, but that's ok.

Thoughts? Experience?

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    bcrawfo2: I have no experience with frozen, though I do know at least one forum member has done such. (He is going through a rough time right now, but will hopefully be able to reply in the next day or two.) IF I remember correctly, I think he said the difference in finish time between a frozen vs. non-frozen was very nominal. If I see him in another venue, I will try to remember to ask for you.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I saw Steven post that he cooked frozen butts.Is he OK?I just checked in and haven't read many earlier posts. :huh:
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think it might be worth a shot. Initially I thought to myself "is that safe?"...but as long as the cooker is above 140 it should be safe.

I have heard that putting the meat on cold yields a better smoke ring, so it might come out really perty.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    did a butt the other day at 300. on at about 9am, had it for dinner.

i used to put it ion at midnight around 225, running slow thru the night to drag out the cook. then bumped temps to 250-275 in the a.m. to get back on track for dinner.

this morning start at 300 degrees was easier.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    Options
    Stike, If i was to put the butt on about 5:00 am, I believe it is a 7-8 pounder, about what temp do you think would get me to dinner at 6:00? A good 13 hour cook.