Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak

Options
fasteddiem
fasteddiem Posts: 212
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, after much reading and preparation I wanted a test go on steaks. As steak typically is an expensive mistake I went with a cheaper loin steak. I wanted to work on getting the egg temp high and keeping it there as well as getting a nice color and cross-hatch. I think i did a pretty good job considering the steak quality.
DSC08071.jpg
I served with a garbanzo bean salad and homemade pesto from basil in my herb garden and olive oil I brought back from Italy last year...Pretty good eats!
DSC08073.jpg
I'd say I've learned enough to go at a nicer steak. I'll hit the local organic/grass-fed farm this weekend and give it a go with some better stuff! Stay tuned!

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    The sear marks are "spot on".Looks like a tastee meal to me. :) Good Luck.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I like it!
    The East German Judge would prob give ya a low score. :sick: :( :silly:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    FastEddieM, yeah, it certainly looks as if you can move on to move expensive cuts without ruining the cook! :)

I live in Dayton and was curious where you obtained your organic, greass fed beef?
  • fasteddiem
    Options
    eenie meenie,

I've found a farm not far from my house in Liberty township (Northern Suburb of Cincinnati...I'm about equidistant between Cincinnati and Dayton). The web page is www.grasslandgraze.com. I highly recommend the meat and the farmers are great! They are only open on Saturday mornings for a few hours, but you can order ahead for pickup. Give em' a go! You won't be displeased!
  • fasteddiem
    Options
    not sure why the link doesn't work but the address is www.grasslandgraze.com
  • CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    Fast Eddie,

Looks good, brother. Don't be shy to apply that to some 1 1/2" - 2" ribeyes. You can't miss with the egg and a little attention. I'm a big fan of hot tubbing because I can get predictable results without having to nail the egg down at different temps.

I like the looks of that garbanzo salad. Is it just a standard pesto, or are there more ingredients?

Joe
  • fasteddiem
    Options
    Joe,

The pesto on the steak was the normal Genovese pesto...Basil, garlic, pine nuts, salt, olive oil and fresh parm...

The Garbanzo salad was super simple and had similar flavors to the pesto...drained and rinsed can of garbanzo beans, juice of half lemon, salt (to taste), 3tsp .olive oil, 2 TBSP chopped basil, 1 garlic clove minced, and fresh grated parm to taste (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup) Bon Appetite Magazine Spring 2011

Delicious and pretty healthy...if that is important to you...if not still delicious! :)
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Looks like you are ready for a 2 inch thick steak. Beans look good too!
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx