Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Dough Question

Options
XLentEGG
XLentEGG Posts: 436
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got a stone and peel for my B-Day!!
Can I freeze the pizza dough after the mix but before the rise? Will it still rise and bake after it has been frozen? This dough will be made from scratch.
More meat please !! :-)

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Yes, you can freeze it.

It would probably be best to freeze it on a piece of plastic and then put it in a vac seal bag, if you have one.
  • fasteddiem
    fasteddiem Posts: 212
    Options
    As a pizzeria owner and avid home pizza cook I can assure you that you can freeze dough. Let it rise then "punch" it down before freezing. Cut it into even piece (I usually weight out using a scale) and wrap in plastic wrap. Then take immediately to the freezer. This will halt yeast growth. When you thaw, place at room temperature for a few hours and it will come back to life. A note about the pizza stone...make sure to let heat up for at least 30 minutes if you want to get a nice crisp crust. If you are looking for a good pizza dough recipe I recommend Jamie Oliver's pizza dough recipe...Just google it! Hope this helps!!

Regards,
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    I can tell you a couple of things.

Pizza dough is SO much easier to handle and stretch out after it's been frozen.

And please, don't literally "punch" the dough down...that forces the air out if it! Handle it gently and it will reward you.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Absolutely! Give it a full 24 hours to thaw, then allow a few extra hours for the rise. Wrap super tight in balls for the freezer, then open the bag in the fridge (keeping the dough from air, though).
  • fasteddiem
    Options
    Judy,

Please explain why you wouldn't punch down the dough...When you allow for the initial rise in yeast it more than doubles in size. If you were to cut into smaller balls without punching you would essentially be doing the same thing. By "punching" it down you create a uniform dough that is easier to handle. It will gain some additional breath on the second rise post-freeze...just my thoughts...
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    THANK YOU !! For all of the great input!! I will now go foward with the next chapter in the Great Egg Experience!! PIZZA!! :woohoo:
    More meat please !! :-)
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Fast Eddie:

You can expel the extra air with gentle handling just as well as with a left jab.
    Judy in San Diego
  • greendean
    greendean Posts: 50
    Options
    thanks for the recipe suggestion. I am always looking. Mine seems to have too much air in it and stretches to much making it hard to handle and actually get to the stone.
  • fasteddiem
    Options
    stretch it out on a floured surface...Remember that corn meal is your friend...We call it "taco-ing" the pizza! :laugh:
  • uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Options
    I have successfully frozen home made dough, then let it thaw and do a second rise. If the dough doesn't seem to want to stretch correctly, let it rest for 5 minutes and return to stretching it again. I have tried several different things with home made pizza dough, and have yet to feel the need to throw the pizza out and call Domino's! Eggsperiment with it and enjoy the results.

Uglydog
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    I just remembered something that's a real help. Instead of flour or cornmeal under the stretched-out dough round or on the peel...use semolina. I can't explain why, but it works just like ball bearings and the dough slides beautifully.

I discovered it by accident when I had the semolina out, probably used a dough recipe that called for some, so I sprinkled that on the peel and put the dough round on it. Fantastic!
    Judy in San Diego