Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork butt timing

Options
PattyO
PattyO Posts: 883
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a pork butt, just a little over 3.5 lbs. How long should I plan to cook it following the Naked Whiz directions at 220' indirect for pulled pork?
Thanks

Comments

• duchunter
    duchunter Posts: 110
    Options
    I just did one that size on friday and I used my Digi Q II and held my temp at 210 to 220 and it took 15 hours and it was awesome so low and slow should be about that amount of time
    Good Luck
    Andrew

Egg Family: Large and Medium Eggs and a Bradley Smoker

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    3.5 pounds at the recommended 250 should only take 6-7 hours or so. No need to cook any longer as you just waste lump cooking at lower temps. Better to get it done sooner and eat!!!
  • ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    Options
    Hello PattyO Met you at the Waldorf EGGFEST I was with my brother & sister-in-law Madame Le Oeuf Vert and Le Oeuf Vert. They talked me into an egg and I got a medium. I have a pork butt I want to cook as well. Let me know how it turned out and at what temp and for how long you cooked it!!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Timing is everything...
    Just wrapped a 3.8# bone-in butt and it took 9 hours at an average dome temp of 250*F to get to 203*F internal. Good luck-I have noticed that if you are a water smoker convert the cook times are longer due to the dry (relatively speaking-sauna vs steam room equivalent) heat. All's well that tastes well!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Hi Patty:

The usual time is 1-1/2 to 2 hours per pound. But a a week ago my daughter put a 4-pounder on at 250° at 3 PM (along with a 6-pounder), had the Guru meat probe stuck in it, and it didn't get done till 3 AM. That's 12 hours!

That's never happened to me personally, but it is a possibility...so keep it in mind.
    Judy in San Diego
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Yes, I heard you joined the cult. Congrats on your new addition. I have a Med too, and a Mini and ordered a demo Lg for July. My new family. I've done the butt before, but needed the timing for this size. I'll do 250' for 6-7 hrs so it won't be going all nite. I'll start early morning and keep an eye on it. Actually I don't see the big allure to pulled pork, but it's fun and serves a lot of people. I'll make the obligatory slaw to serve with it.
    Can you come to the Pgh fest? I drove to yours.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    At least at 250 they dont NEED to clean the egg out like new..
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I just did a 4-5lb at ~220 for 15.5 hrs until internal temp was around 190. Boy was it good.

The first time was 3-4 wks ago. had difficulty keeping the temp < 275. Figured it out for the second run.

I have the XL with the cast iron 1/2 circle grates. I also typically cook the butt/shoulders in an aluminum throw-away pan to catch all the drippings.

I start with 1/2 a Weber chimney full of red-hot lump (used GrillMate from ACE Hardware - re-branded Royal Oak - or so they say) placed it in the middle of the back side and then just covered it with more lump and water soaked apple wood chips. I did have to stir the charcoal at ~12hrs, but other than that kept consistent.