Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie First Ribs on BGE

Krapshooter
Krapshooter Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last year I told my brother-in-law that I was considering purchasing a BGE. Not long after, a medium appeared on his deck. Since, I have heard him extoll the virtues of the BGE. Well, my Weber recently rusted through in 2 spots between the grate and grill so I found myself in need of a new grill (though some think it was a case of sabotage). So I purchased a large BGE and compact table (for about what I paid for my first car), for Memorial Weekend and cooked a brisket that turned out great. Today I am making my first rib attempt (using Car Wash Mike's methods). I have been grilling and smoking all my life but gave up on ribs long ago because I could never get them to taste as good as the local BBQ restaurants. Hope I can put them back on the menu at our house.

From my limited experience reading posts on this forum it looks like a fantastic exchange of ideas and information is going on here. I love it and am glad to be a part of it.

I'll let you know how the ribs turn out.

Oh, and GO MAVS

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Your ribs should turn out Amazing!

Good Luck!

BTW: its BGE (Big Green Egg)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Krapshooter: Welcome, and yes, you'll have ribs back on your home menu. In fact, you won't want to eat them out anymore! Welcome aboard! (And ps...Go HEAT!) :laugh:
  • SheepDog
    SheepDog Posts: 176
    Krapshooter if there isn't pictures it didn't happen! ;)

Welcome and I can tell you after my first ribs this weekend, you'll wonder why you ever paid the prices you did for ribs at a restaurant!
  • 3c51e8c1.jpg

Here we are a few hours in. DP Dizzie Dust on one rack, Rendevouz on the other.
  • SheepDog
    Looks great... I like the compact table. Seriously thinking about making one with the larger wheels on one end.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Looks like you are well on your way to a tastee finish!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • fbb7a6f4.jpg

Here is the finish. Without question the best ribs I have ever made. The guests raved. Can't wait to try again.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Those ribs look great.

P.P.S - Go Mavs!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SheepDog
    Krapshoot would you make any changes for the next rack, if so what would you do?
  • pirates21
    pirates21 Posts: 74
    Great looking!!
    I have recently purchased an egg, and did ribs this weekend.
    I made two racks. The first, which had more fat on it, was amazing. The second, more lean rack, was tastey, but a bit dry.
    Did you experience this at all? As well, would you mind sharing the temps/times you used for these? thanks!
    Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Welcome & Grats on the new Egg... You are going to like it a lot!!

Be sure to post some pics of the ribs!
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Pirates21,

Funny you should say that. One of my racks was outstanding, the other was a little drier and only great. I think it was because my racks were not similar. I purchased one rack from my grocery meat market. Then decided I should cook 2 since not much additional effort would be required. The second rack I purchased was a hormel product that was leaner and thicker. It was not as good as the other.

I followed Car Wash Mike's instructions pretty close. For the first 3 hours I was hovering around 235 (instructions call for 200-225). I misted hourly with 50/50 apple juice/apple cider vinegar. After 3 hours bumped up to around 275 (I let the fire get away from me and had a hard time cooling it down, should have been 250). After a total of around 4 hours 15 minutes I determined they were done (and had hungry guests). I lightly sauced the ribs and put back on for 20 minutes.
  • SheepDog,

I think I answered the question in my answer to Pirates21, but next time I'm going to try harder to hold the correct temp and give myself more time before guests arrive. Can't wait to try again! Good stuff.
  • pirates21
    pirates21 Posts: 74
    i think when buying back ribs, you really don't want to get too lean a cut...i was told side ribs are better to grill with. i guess the learning process continues.....
    Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    A big thumbs up for St Louis spare ribs. They are quite thick and meaty.
    They do take approx an hour longer than a comparable size amount of BB's, but are sure worth it!

:woohoo:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon