Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chef Or Cook: What Are You ?

Pork Butt Mike
Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMHO

I been on here for some time now and met a lot of great people. I would never consider my self or call my self a chef but I like to think I am a pretty decent Cook. I have learned so much from so many of you threw out the years and I Thank You all for that.

The point I am trying to get across is don't ever believe every thing your read and if not sure then ask and get different opinions. I do have a problem with someone coming on here calling them selfs a Chef and trying to teach, which will get someone seriously hurt or sick.

Comments

• Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    I'm a Cheok. Part Chef, part Cook.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    There are a lot of people that frequent this board that are self-proclaimed "experts" on a number of topics. Everyone should just use common sense when reading the information here and if something doesn't seem right then verify the accuracy of any information they read here by examining outside sources and drawing their own conclusions.
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    A little of both.

But here is how I define the difference-

A Cook can take a recipe and replicate it. Can cook things that they have learned about and have done before.

A Chef is someone that creates new recipes from scratch and can modify and change existing ones to create something new.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    I am just a plain backyard cook Mike but I have fun doing it.

Larry
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    I'm not much of a cook, let alone a chef! :laugh:
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    I am a fly by the seat of my pants COOK. I never gave it to much thought growing up, the term chef.. but that is what I WANTED to be and when I knew my dreams were torn between what life was handing me and what I wanted I had to take life at the time LOL But to ME Chef is a title of respect given to someone who has invested in themselves for the education and the right to the title. the same as DR or Professor. they have put in years of training, education and hands on experience to get to that point. David is a Chef, Michelle (Little Chef) is a chef. when they are in the work place that is their title and the name used to summons them for any issues in the kitchen or dining room or where ever they are needed. sadly it is used to label random cooks or our self. Kleenex/Tissue just my two cents....
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Me?... just an EGGhead! Fidel makes a great point...and so do you Mike. I have been in front of a grill/smoker for over 45 years and have had my 1st egg since 96. I don't consider myself as a chef or a cook, however,I do make a mean brisket! Little Chef is the certified chef in this household! We have had hundreds of egg cooks with Cerified Master and Exec Chefs attending these cooks. All of these folks are very humble and helpful with suggestions, tips, and demos. So I can make these statements with confidence:

THE ONLY THING A BREAD KNIFE IS USED FOR, IS FOR BREAD!

NEVER CUT ON FOIL!

NEVER CALL YOURSELF A CHEF UNLESS YOU REALLY ARE ONE!

In my expert opinion..... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I call myself a chef (when no one's around). ; - )
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Geez, I guess the same could be said in reference to some on here that find it absolutely essential to post pics of EVERY chicken leg, pork roast,chop, rib, BURGER, pizza, bloody steak,corn on the cob,....... that they apply to the egg. Take a look or pass it by. It is still your choice.
  • Big Green Egg Lovers,

I am only a chef in my own kitchen. Definately not on this forum or anywhere outside of my kitchen. I have a love of food and am new with cooking on the Big Green Egg. I am changing my handle on here to reflect that I am a cook who is merely trying to increase my knowledge.

I meant no disrespect to chefs on this forum.

Thank you for your patience.. ;) Keep on rockin'.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i take it all in stride. no harm, no foul.

i think you are talkingabout a new guy, but his method isn't going to hurt anyone, and his method is exactly what is in my BGE cookbook WITHOUT any warning about flashback =either.

we really ought to call off the cops, and welcome the newbies. i hate to think how many first time posts get swatted down. 'welcome aboard' indeed :laugh:

FWIW, i know a few tv chefs who it seems can't cook for nuthin and it's all about personality. i know a few cooks who could be chefs but aren't, and i know a few backyard grillers who make them all look foolish.

there are a lot of self-applied nicknames and i think they are harmless and more about having fun than anything else. i don't take anyone for a 'chef' just because it is in their handle

i think if anyone got mad at DrBBQ for having "Dr." in his handle and professional name, they'd be an idiot. and i don't think any of our 'Loney friends are registered in the Royal Genealogical List

hackles get raised awful easily here sometimes.

signed,
    Dr. Chef El Presidente in Chief
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    I don't even consider myself a cook,just a guy who likes playing with fire :)
  • stike
    if we are going to go after someone because they used the wrong knife, we aren't really going to be taken as 'friendly and helpful' as we might like to think we are.

we can start making fun of stuff, if that's what everyone wants. i mean, publicly. because an awful lot of mocking goes on behind the scenes via skype, email, and FB chat. why should we just mock the newbies here? :evil:
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    If you're good at following recipes, you're a cook.

If you're good at creating recipes, you're a chef.

I'm a sous-cook. :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• I worked in a very nice restaurant and learned a lot of things...However I don't consider myself a chef, though I've been called that before (at the restaurant and by my green egg)... Personally I consider a chef someone formally trained in the art of cooking.

I did look up the definition in meriam-webster, so technically a cook and chef can be synonyms. Here is what it says:

"Definition of CHEF

1: a skilled cook who manages the kitchen (as of a restaurant)
    2: cook
    — chef intransitive verb
    — chef·dom noun"

Hopefully though my cooking doesn't make anyone sick..
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Welcome to the forum...Eggheads (Big Green Egg Lovers) can be a tough crowd. There are thousands of talanted Eggheads on this forum and you will learn tons. If you have questions, try the search feature or ask it on the forum. Good luck with your cooks and welcome again.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • stike
    i didn't see any disrespect, fwiw. there was some goofiness, sure, but if we are kicking out goofballs, then i'm gonna be asked to leave, and i'll be nominating a few others that should be kicked out with me, too.
  • outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    i enjoy cooking,,, so am i a chef or a cook?.. probable neither, but i love my eggs and cooking on them. i agree with fidel....read the forum, make good COMMON sense decisions and enjoy...

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Mainegg
    Hey there.. I owe you an apology I got caught up in things. Welcome and this is a good group at heart. you spent some time putting that together and posting it. some good info in there but a few things you will learn other way of doing here in the forum. that work really well. I hope you stick around and give it a chance. Julie
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I am niether and I didn't see the A$$h0l3 option. :whistle:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mainegg
    because I used it all up Steven..... :blush: :(
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    that option is hanging over the sink in your bathroom
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    What have you done now?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Cook and Bartender!! -maybe bartender first!! I too have learned much about cooking and as my mom was a trained chef I know I am just a cook.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    But you are the Ham King, Egret. I'd call you a Chef any day.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Chef sounds great in spanish also :laugh: , would love to become one someday, but too much for me at the moment...cook I might be, but I'm more of an entertainer :woohoo:
  • Excellent point
    I've been cooking for over 50 years and I learning something all the time!
    Thus...I'm just a Potatohead B) .
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    And judging from your posts, you are quite an entertainer as well as an excellent cook (chef?),
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    You, sir, are a CHEF !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious