Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Beef Grading

TNmikeTNmike Posts: 643
edited 8:49PM in EggHead Forum
I often see posts about the grade of beef someone bought. I was born into the beef industry and know just enough to be dangerous trying explain the differences. I did leave and strike out on my own many years ago so haven't been around the industry in a very long time. Not much difference between a Prime- cut and a Choice+ cut but a lot of difference a Prime+ and Choice-. Did a little searching on the net and found this site that explains the grading where it is fairly easy to understand. Hope it is of interest to at least a few. Mike

http://meat.tamu.edu/beefgrading.html
·

Comments

• SheepDogSheepDog Posts: 176
    Thanks... now I feel dumber! :blink:
    ·
  • TNmikeTNmike Posts: 643
    Me too! :laugh: Notice the whole carcass is judged by the marbling of the ribeye between the 12th and 13th rib and that is a judgement call by the USDA inspector that is on duty at that plant at that time. I'm sure all inspectors across the US have the same 'eye'. :lol:
    ·
  • SheepDogSheepDog Posts: 176
    No doubt... you think with the technology there is they would have a probe that they stuck up the cows ares or something equivalent. :lol:
    ·