Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Serendipity...Found my new meat shop

Options
WokOnMedium
WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Lawrence's was the grocery store I went to when I lived in my second apartment in Hinton. It was small, not a lot of selection, but it was on the way home from work. Well, I recently learned that I can buy prime beef there....the only place in town!

Sooooo, as you saw earlier I bought a prime rib roast (which is why I was there), lots and lots of changes, even less selection for groceries, but it was meat heaven!

On my way to the back cooler I saw a cooler with smaller cuts. And noticed these here packages:
IMG20110604103320-M.jpg

I've been dreaming of some jerky so I took a closer look and HOLY CRAP!!!!!!
IMG20110604112818-M.jpg

When was the last time you saw that kind of price tag on flank? So I grabbed two packages (8 lbs). Got them home and had to cut off a little fat, but they were beauties. Cut them into strips with the grain, and shook on some High Mountain jerky stuff. We'll be smokin' tomorrow afternoon.
IMG20110604111216-M.jpg

Comments

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    JERKY FEST 2011!
    You go girlfriend!!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Nice! Take pictures Staci.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Staci,

That is cheap. Choice is one or two down from prime? I don't think grading matters on a flank anyway.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WokOnMedium
    Options
    Steven, I don't know where choice falls. I gotta tell you most of the time I don't know what the heck I'm doing. There was some trimming to do because I think the goal is lean. It had a couple ribbons of fat layered inside, so we'll see, God knows I've made more expensive mistakes in my life ( we won't list them here [Roger]), so if it's not a total loss I'm okay with it. :laugh:

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I'll volunteer to be an off site field tester! :laugh:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Stac,

Show us how it turns out. I'm eager to make some jerky soon.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Buddy,

You can cook flank other ways too :laugh:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    If you are making jerky with it, trimming the fat may be desirable. If you are making fajitas or other dishes, the biggest mistake is trimming it. I have not found a meat shop yet that didn't trim it all off. Skirt and flank needs that fat-cap just like brisket and pork butt/shoulder to make it tender and juicy. With it trimmed too much, IMO, it tends to be dry and chewy.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    USDA...#1-Prime,#2-choice,#3-select,#4-cutter/utility. ;)
  • WokOnMedium
    Options
    Didn't have a whole fat cap, but more fat than I have ever seen on a flank. Jerky trim, any other purpose I've seen people threatened with banishment! I know better! :laugh: