Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where did you get your Small egg ?

LoisLane
LoisLane Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to so many of you who responded to my recent question about a small vs large as a 2nd smoker. You folks really do love helping us newbies out ! :)

So, for those with a Small - especially if it was a "spare" / 2nd egg- where did you get yours ? Brand new / full price ? Used (i.e. Craigslist) ? Demo egg after a fest ?

We have been watching Craigslist for about 3 months (just for general info / all sizes) and have not seen a small be available in our area. Seems like those that start w/ a small & want to grow larger - keep their small as a spare or maybe pass it to a friend or family member. Is finding a small on Craigslist maybe a once a year get lucky type event that we really shouldn't be hopeing for ? Don't need one right this instant, but would be nice to find one say in the next 3-4 months.

Comments

• Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    Smalls arent that popular or easy to find. I Run a large and medium at home and I always seem to have once a year a person with a used medium wanting to trade in on a large. We stock the smalls in the shop but it would be a long drive lol.

Good luck on your search
  • c tredwell
    c tredwell Posts: 575
    Found my 1st small driving down the road- saw it in the backyard of a house, and stopped. They sold it to me for $200 with a table! Used it for a bit, cleaned it up and sold it for $350.
    My second small was new...my dad got it for me at cost...he was a rep back then. Now I use my small more than my large!
    Oh, and I bought a mini on craigslist the other day for $100
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    your best bet for any type of discount is a used one from a fest.... i watch the lists all the time for an XL near me and do not think I have ever seen a small.. I have a couple of adopted eggs but you have no warranty on them, and knock on egg have not had to replace anything yet. we use our small quite a bit in combo with the mini for just the two of us, if I am cooking a larger meal.
    our Small is named "Becky" and we got her at the FL sunshine fest. her mom won her and just tossed her aside to get the Wonderful table she was in. :ermm: Poor thing.. she had some issues and was very shocked at the move from FL to Maine last month but has settled in and did a wonderful job on some chicken the other night... I think the horror of Eenie Meanie discarding her has started to fade a bit.... Poor little egg
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    I've had a search running on eBay for more than a year. Only once did something viable come available, and that was 7 hours away. :angry:

I didn't make the trip. :blush:

fc
  • Sip & Chat
    Sip & Chat Posts: 32
    I got mine at the Ga Mountain Eggfest and love it. Since then my large has only been called upon once and that was for a 12# brisket. It's just my wife and i and a college daughter who is rarely here so the small is perfect for everyday use but nice to have the large to fall back on. Oh, and i do mean everyday use. :cheer:

Bob
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Bought mine from a dealer to compliment my large. Like others, I now use it most of the time for my family of four (kids 9 and 5). Honestly, it isn't the "machine" that the large is - like many, I have issues with reaching/maintaining high temps - but it is an egg, so the food is fantastic. Buy one - you won't regret it.
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Poor thing....sounds like eenie really is a meanie :pinch:
  • LoisLane
    Love your story ! I have heard of people naming their cars before, but not their eggs. That is too funny.

I hope Becky appreciates all you have done for her. ;)
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    I bought mine several years ago from a dealer.
    I searched high and low to find one and finally found one about 50 miles away....no one seemed to have any smalls in stock and none arriving soon, when I was looking. I use the small more than the medium, the small does all that the larger ones do(in smaller quantities)equally as well. Most of the important eggcessories are available for the small.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I bought it from a dealer back when they were $330.
    The Naked Whiz
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Mine are named Lula-Q, La-uh ( pronounced Ladasha), and Itty Bit.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Bought mine at the dealer.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    We bought our Small at an EggFest. It was our first Egg. We've since added a Large and a Mini but the Small still gets the most use.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Jules, :lol::lol::lol: , I knew my small that I won at the Florida fest would find a home with a good egg family. I felt so sorry that you only had 8 or so eggs. :woohoo:

Nothing like an enabler, is there Julie?

Wow, and that name! What an original. :silly:

(In answer to your quetion, I bought two smalls at the Eggtoberfest and one from my local dealer......two were given away as gifts).

If you get a small, you should seriously check out the Grate Mates manufactured by nonother than our wonderful fellow forum member Chubby. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/gratemates/gratemates.htm
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Now that's an understatement. :whistle:
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I bought it from the dealer for $479 one year ago (eggs arent cheap in Utah, and fests are several states away, negating any savings they provide). My other three eggs were purchased on Craigslist. If you watch religiously, I mean several times a day, and are willing to drive a little, you'll get one, or several. There is a small for sale here in salt lake city right now, so they are out there. Your area may vary.

I still vote for the medium, it behaves like the large, but uses less lump. The small doesnt have the air flow dynamics all of the other eggs possess (it has a small air inlet). I loved my small, I used it all of the time, then I got my medium, and that changed. Just my opinion, there are others out there.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Airline miles. It came to my door from cooks.com.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• LoisLane
    Thanks Rebecca - EGGselent suggestion - we love the look of the Grill Mates functionality. Will definitely hang onto that info for when/if we get a small.