Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Need Camcorder Recommendations

Options
thirdeye
thirdeye Posts: 7,428
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm ready to move into a camcorder. The driving force is business related documentation, so as long as this is a write off.. :evil: , well you know what I mean.

Anyway, I need some recommendations for brands, models, editing software as well as some features to consider. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to camcorders, especially when it comes to the different recording options, so keep it sort of simple.
Happy Trails
~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery

Comments

• Shwiezzee
    Shwiezzee Posts: 304
    Options
    Hi Thirdeye,

We are happy with the Sony HD HDR-Xr520. 240G, 12 mega pixels, and optical zoom x12. Its full1080 however in the last year sony has brought out a few more that make this look basic for only a few hundred dollars more. :angry:

Hope this helps
    Jay
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Consumers Reports.
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    What would you think of a new Digital DSLR like the Canon T3i? I have the T2i and it shoots 1080 HD as well as has an 18 mega pixel sensor. The kit lens should be good to get you started but you can pick up more lenses when you are ready, personally I have a dedicated 50mm on mine right now.

Draw back is that sound recording from the camera is not the greatest but you can jack in an external mic.

What kind of computer are you using? I have Macs in my house and use PCs at work. iMovie on the Mac is a great entry level solution. Also most digital camcorders come with some form of editing software.

As to the choice on Cameras what kind of documentation are you doing? More than 10 min in a single shot or less? Do you want tape based or digital. As with any camera get as much physical zoom as you can, some of the cameras that boast 100x's zoom are just blowing up the image and it looks like lego blocks rather than what you thought your were shooting.

You might try renting first to test drive or see what your store has for a return policy. Lots of choices.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    LC and I have the JVC hard disk camcorder. 34x zoom, 30 gigs of space. It will go for 7 to 37 hours depending on the battery. Got it at Costco, $600 a few years ago. palm size and the screen flips around so you can see yourself when filming. Also takes stills.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    im kind of in the same line of thinking a dmurf. I use a Nikon D90 for a DSLR and it takes REAALLLLLLy sweet video in 1080p...it don't get any better considering most devices don't even play back in true 1080p. just my two cents. If you have the coin however, but a camcorder seperate. We've had 5-6 over the life of our kids and never look at the tapes...kind of sad actually.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I have a couple of digital cameras that will take movies, but wanted to move in the camcorder direction to improve quality and have more options.

The documentation work will take place on construction sites or in fabrication shops, mainly for task verification, or possible assembly operations. I doubt I will need to film more than 10 minutes at a time for work related things.

As far as personal uses, I really don't know what kind of uses I could find... sporting events, outdoor activities, Q-ing demo's, or goofy You Tube shorts. I understand the reasoning behind getting an internal hard drive, but the ones that use memory cards are a few hundred cheaper.

As far as the options for recording, I've seen mention of the 1080/60p recording option, and software issues, but haven't looked into it enough to really understand the term.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    I had the D90 and bought the D7000 last November Tony. They have even improved the video more.On the 7000 you can change the focus while your filming and the sound is a little better.
    Larry
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Heard on CNN that the FLIP Video cam.s are going off the market. You might look into those as an inexpensive way to start. Last I ck'd, an 2 hr HD was around $130 at Best Buy.

Good Luck
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • LoisLane
    LoisLane Posts: 94
    Options
    My hubby has a small camcorder he likes. It is 1.5 years old. Main usage is for mounting in his car at the track.

It is AIPTEK brand Action GVS HD . It is still available on Amazon for $145 (just checked) . Has good zoom, sound is very good once he flashed it with the latest firmware (should come with now probably). Uses external flashcards for memory.

Can record in 3-4 diff formats & has flip out screen to view what you are recording. Easy to use.