Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled beef sandwiches tonight with a pic.......

Options
Clay Q
Clay Q Posts: 4,486
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm very happy tonight with the beef BBQ. My family say's it's the best Iv'e made. Very tender and full of that great beef flavor accented with hickory smoke and sauce.[p]Thanks to all who helped me prepare for this BBQ. And to Old Dave, I think he should change his handle to Good Old Dave. Dave, I nailed it. :o)[p]Well, I thought about the foil stage and I felt more comfortable about using my No.12 dutch oven. It worked out fine. I did not fiddle with the temp. I just rode on through at 250 dome for each of the three stages. With a fresh cleaning and lump, my egg never skipped a beat with temp. The first stage had indirect setup, platesetter feet up, grid, drip pan and rack, hickory smoke. The second stage was using the dutch oven with the lid on and the addition of 1/3 cup maple syrup and 2/3 cup water to the meat. I also cut some apples in for moisture and flavor. The last stage was pulling the meat, the addition of sauce and the meat juice after skimming the fat off, then back for a second hickory smoke. [p]IMG_0138.jpg
IMG_0139.jpg
IMG_0143.jpg
IMG_0151.jpg
IMG_0155.jpg
IMG_0158.jpg

Comments

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Clay Q,
    Just beautiful, my Man!
    Mike

• toiletfish
    Options
    Clay Q,
    WOW. I'm very interested in the entire recipe. What cut of beef is that? Looks great. Any info would be much appreciated. The last picture is exactly what I dream of.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Clay Q,
    Thank you! Your "how I did it" post makes me move off the bubble! My sweet wife still makes one of my childhood favorite recipes by my Mother we simply call "Mom's Beef and Noodles". It is so rich in beef taste (bouillin ADDED). I will try it on Mr Egg. BTW - thank you for the kind email you sent me regarding my being "somewhat of a chip off my blacksmith Dad's block" I JUST realized this weekend that I never responded!!! Please forgive me!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Clay Q
    Options
    toiletfish,
    It's chuck roast. Looks like a big steak. This meat needs a low-n-slow to make it tender. [p]If you love BBQ this is a treat.

• toiletfish
    Options
    Clay Q,
    Thanks. I happened upon some of the questions you asked in the forum earlier this week. I'm going to give it a shot this week. I had no idea that cut would work. I'll post a pic when I get something done.

• Clay Q
    Options
    RRP,
    My friend, it's people like you that make this forum what it is. I had a lot of fun today. Thanks.

• toiletfish
    Options
    Clay Q,
    I'm having a ball reading all the methods and recipes fellow eggers have come up with. I'm a lightweight at this point. I've only had the egg for about a year. I cook on it about 3 times a week. Wish I could use it about 4 more days a week. Anyway, thx to all that have sent in ideas. I submitted a pic of a turkey I did. Hope this makes it.

[ul][li]Orange Brined Turkey[/ul]
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    Hey, Thanks. Your brisket inspired me with that bacon. Well, I think I'm gonna sleep like a baby tonight. Burp.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Clay Q,
    did you mix bbq sauce in with the maple and apples at the end or is it just the sauce you cooked it in. pulled beef is one of my favorites. looks good

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Clay Q,[p]Great job and that is my kind of sandwich. I just got a two pound bag of this meat out of the freezer for our evening meal. Again, nice cook.[p]Dave

• Clay Q
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Good morning Mike,
    I added maple syrup (the real stuff) and water to help keep the beef moist. Because a lot of flavor is in the juice after simmering in the dutch oven, I drained and chilled it so I could skim off the fat, then returned the juice to the pulled beef along with my sauce. The sliced apples, (one and a half), turned to apple sauce in the oven so I removed the skins and blended them into the mix. [p]The beef, the hickory smoke, the sauce, it all comes together in this cook. I have a hard time describing how delicious this is.
    Clay

• Clay Q
    Options
    Old Dave,
    Thanks Dave. You were a big help. What would I do without the experts guiding me?[p]Grasshopper Clay

• Clay Q,[p]Just a few questions for a new egghead:

1. How long did you do the indirect cooking before going to the dutch oven?[p]2. What should the internal meat temp be before taking the meat out of the dutch oven? [p]Your BBQ looked just great...I want to try them for the Final Four Weekend.[p]Thanks!!![p]Doris L

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Clay Q,[p]Maaaan!![p]You're killing me with this!![p]Thanks for the pics and commentary![p]Let me clear up a few items[p]1)....After you mixed the sauce back in you smoked the finnished product again?[p]How long?[p]2)....The(Sauce) consists of the drippings(skimmed) and the maple syrup, water, and the cooked down apples?[p]3)...approximately how long did each "Stage" take you?[p]Thanks for your help!![p]Chubby[p]I sure appreciate [p]

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Clay Q,
    That is unbelievable, even without smell- or taste-o-vision.[p]Start to finish. Great pix. Looks like you had a vision and carried it out perfectly! Beautiful!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks Chris. [p]I had a focus on this cook. It helped to have some great advice beforehand, I got organized and felt confident.[p]I know that some of my artistic "vision" played in on this BBQ and my cooking experience. Yea, it's fun and I enjoy sharing the experience. And my family enjoys the eating. :o)[p]Dizzy Pig Cow Lick played a major part. I'm enjoying your spices in all my BBQ.[p]Clay

• Clay Q
    Options
    Chubby,
    Please, please, I don't want to torture you. [p]Yea, my commentary left out details-I was full and tired but happy.[p]I did document this cook and I'm referring to my notes. Let's see.........to your questions;
    1. Yes. One and a half hours.[p]2. Yes.[p]3. Stage one, 5 hours. Stage two, 2 hours. Stage three, 1 1/2 hours.[p]I should write up this cook for the recipe file. Sorry for not having a completed recipe. It's just that its new to me also. I hope I cleared up some questions. I will write this up soon and share it. Thanks for your comments.[p]Clay

• Clay Q
    Options
    Doris Lloyd,
    Stage one was a 5 hour cook. Stage two ended when the meat internal temp reached a whopping 215 degrees. Remember, chuck roast is not tender untill it's well cooked. I found that my dutch oven is very efficient and you don't want to go over 250 dome temp when in the egg. The meat should slowly simmer untill 215 internal. Rest the meat, trim off fat and gristle as you pull it apart.[p]I'll write up the recipe soon. Check back with me and I'll send it to your e-mail if you wish. My e-mail is in profiles.
    Clay