Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where would you go for dinner? Lotsa Pics

WokOnMedium
WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My dear friends are being kicked out of their home by the Missouri River. We've spent the past 5 days loading all their belongings into a semi trailer and into my house and somehow they still find a way to keep it in perspective that there has been no loss of life, and they had enough warning to save their belongings. The flood waters have not yet come, and if the levees hold they will only see water in their basement so we are keeping our fingers crossed. They'll be moving into a fifth wheel at the KOA until the Army Corps of Engineers gives them the all clear. Looks like it'll be about 60 days before its all said and done. Evacuation hasn't been made mandatory for their section yet, but the air conditioner, water heater and all appliances have been moved to safety.

One tiny little plus is that I have gotten to see more of them in the last 5 days than in the last 3 months, and I have people to cook for.

Last night we started with ABT's
IMG20110603183021-M.jpg

They could have stayed on a bit longer, but the natives were getting restless

Then we kicked up the Egg, dropped the spider and a cast iron in.
IMG20110603183155-M.jpg

I picked up a prime rib roast and cut a few steaks off before beginning my dry age dabble. Wish I had cut them thicker.
IMG20110603183043-M.jpg

Seared!
IMG20110603184914-M.jpg
Put on some crashed potatoes while they were getting updates.
IMG20110603190923-M.jpg
IMG20110603191420-M.jpg
Set it all together with some steamed greenbeans.
IMG20110603194406-M.jpg

Comments

• SheepDog
    SheepDog Posts: 176
    Terrible situation... I wish your friends the best!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    well that is a wonderful up side for all of you. hope all goes well and they are home soon. bet an egg ends up in their future LOL
  • Will be right over!
    Great meal!
  • Sorry to hear that, Staci. But you are a great friend, and I see alot of fun cooking coming up for you. I hope you are feeling better, too.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • WokOnMedium
    Well we carried one of my larges over there last fall to make a prime rib. I showed him how to use it a few times, then winter came. I was sick a few times this winter and barely convinced myself to eat let alone cook, so my egg stayed there all winter. Monday when I heard that the water was coming I went to get my Egg. Opened it up to take the pieces out for transportation and it was lined with mold. He hasn't lit it since I cooked on it last November. He said last night he wants to be buried in an Egg, but only if I'm cooking. :laugh:
  • WokOnMedium
    Thanks Faith. They're my family. I am doing so much better. How things have settled down for you too.

Seasoned my new wok yesterday........ :cheer:
  • WokOnMedium
    What would that be, like a 18 hr drive?
  • What's a few miles between Eggers?
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    I hope everything turns out ok for your friends. Hopefully Murphy's 1st Law of Preparedness kicks in. Meanwhile they are with good friends.
    BTW nice cook ;) I am a sucker for potatoes and those looked quite good.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Hate your situation. Like the food. Keep you in our
    Prayers
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Having great friends like you probably makes it easier to have perspective!

I remember when hurricane Ike hit it completely demolished all the homes on Bolivar peninsula. There was not even debri left. When I saw a friend who lived there a few days later I tried to console him and he just broke into this big smile and said "It don't matter. It's just stuff!" All I l lost in the storm was my favorite tree, and I think took that harder than my friend who lost everything.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Staci, no doubt about it. B) I'd come over to your house for dinner with steaks like those!

You are such a dear heart helping out your friends in need. :)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I hope you're cooking that in Denver. :laugh:
    Dry aged steaks for the after party. :whistle:
    Very cool of you to help your family out!! You rock!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Prayers for your friends and all in the wake of the floods. My nieces are in Joplin and all came out safe with their house standing. Looks like you cooked a great meal and hopefully took their mind off things they can't change for a bit.