Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

prime rib was egged to perfection

eggor
eggor Posts: 777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_0520_1.jpg
<p />well the plans got changed a little since there was no way that 10 lb standing rib could be done in time for company so i bumped the temp up to 300 for the entire cook, and seared when the internal read 117[p] IMG_0522_1.jpg[p]oh and by the way there was a ton of fat that burned of in the 9 minutes of sear. 500 deg when i started and 750 deg from all the fat that was lighting up.DO NOT WEAR FLAMMABLE CLOTHING ANY WHERE NEAR when doing this. tring to flip a 10 lb prime rib during the sear will really get the conversation going.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    primerib3.jpg
    <p />eggor,[p]There was no doubt in my mind if you followed a few simple instructions it would turn out great. Maybe you had to modify. That is some good looking meat.
    My first prime rib, geeze I was so going nuts. Came out so good that the next week I cooked another for a different set of customers.[p]Good looking pics.[p]Mike

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    eggor,
    That is beautiful looking meat.

• eggor,
    Mine came out great too! I just sent Max the pics. Egg'd PR is the BEST. I think I might have to move it ahead of a TRex Steak as the first thing to do on an Egg![p]My PR was just a little bit lighter in color outside and inside then yours. I had a Merlot/Cab mix with mine. LOL[p]Here's to wine, Big Green Easter Eggs and Prime Rib![p]Doug

• eggor
    Smoked Signals ,[p]I swear that a standing rib has got to be the simplest thing i think i've ever done on the egg that turned out so well!!!

• eggor
    Car Wash Mike,[p]the only thing that didn't work out, is i seared the meat too soon, it sat on the counter for about half an hour before slicing. We were waiting for the baked potatoes to get done. oh well, it was still the best prime ive ever cooked and better than any i can remember having. If i see it on sale again it is definately going in the shopping cart!!![p]Scott

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    eggor,[p]Looks great. What was your total cook time? Did you make the 2:00 deadline?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • eggor,
    I agree ... I did nothing special ... only opened the lid to put in the taters when the meat was 85F. [p]Equipment needed - Prime Rib Roast, Med. Egg w/platesetter (or larger), and a remote temperature probe to sit in your favorite chair while you drink)[p]Step 1 - Light a fire - any fire in an egg should last long enough to heat up this piece of meat.
    Step 2 - Put seasoned (S&P) piece of meat on grid and close lid.
    Step 3 - Watch meat temperature and drink wine.
    Step 4 - Remove meat at 123 or so and let rest under a Alum. tent (Thanks Max - I would have skipped this step)
    Step 5 - Open new bottle of wine while meat rests for 10 to 15 minutes.
    Step 6 - Eat.
    I think that just about covers it.[p]Heck with a T-rex there is so much flipping, time watching and transfer .... not much time to enjoy your wine except during that 20 minute rest. I personally think he just set 20 minutes as a number because that's how long he takes to drink a beer or a glass of wine. LOL[p]Great meal ... I hope everyone trys a Prime Rib!

• eggor
    thirdeye,[p]total cook time, was 4 hours, when it hit 90 degrees there was no slowing it down, i think it hit 115 in 45 minutes. your advice on doing a sear at the end really worked well. Kinda scared with all the smoke from the fat burning (thought it would taint the meat) and fire, man i didn't known what a grease fire really looked like till then!!! glad i wore my welding gloves.LOL

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    eggor,[p]Many times, I crisp 'em in a 500* oven to avoid just that.
    Glad you were able to time the cook just right. 25 minutes a pound, I'll have to make a note of that. I liked the comment by tach18k about "leting it be the time keeper", that is so true.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    eggor, that looks great! yes holding off the searing till everything is ready was the key to doing it last.

• cbs
    cbs Posts: 99

I also wanted to thank the board for help. I've had an egg for a few years and hadn't got around to Prime Rib yet. But in the last few weeks, I talked my mom into getting an egg and we did PR yesterday for lunch at her place. My youngest brother actually did most of the work, and I got there the last hour, and it turned out great. And the sear catching the fat cap on fire momentarily only added to the excitement.