Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Good BBQ in Knoxville area?

Options
DrugCoder
DrugCoder Posts: 219
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm speaking at an event on Sunday and would like to get some good bbq afterwards. Nothing like some good comfort food after a long talk.

Does anyone in the area have suggestions? Looking at the Knoxville visitors guide I saw a place called Calhouns. Any good? It's close to where we'll be but am open to other suggestions.

We'll be on the south side of town at exit 378 of I-40/75

Oh yeah, my family will be with me afterwards which means it needs to be kid friendly. No 18 or 21 and up kind of places.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Not a clue, though my brother used to play in a bluegrass band at Buddy's a very long time ago (1980-ish). As I recall, he said their Q was pretty good.

Anyway, in case your question gets lost amid all the how-do-I-cook-a-butt posts :), perhaps this will be of some help... It's something anyway.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/f/68/6704/Knoxville/Barbecue-Restaurants?sort=1

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TnVolKen
    TnVolKen Posts: 198
    Options
    Dead End BBQ is pretty good.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    BBQ is never OT around here..... ;)
  • BLDGMAN
    BLDGMAN Posts: 30
    Options
    Dead End is good. Calhouns is decent food, but I wouldn't go for BBQ.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Skip Calhouns.

Dead End BBQ is where you want to go. It was started two years ago forming out of the Dead End Society competition team. The comp team has a few Grand Championships under their belt and took 3rd overall at this year's KCBS event in Huntsville (Whistlestop).

They have the best brisket I've ever had and you can't beat their TN Beef and Cheddar sandwich. They have great sausage, pulled pork, and chicken. Solid sides too, I like the pimento mac n cheese, red/white/blue slaw, and their beans (not the Mayor's beans, the other ones).

www.deadendbbq.com
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • DrugCoder
    DrugCoder Posts: 219
    Options
    Perfect! Dead End is only a few exits up so it shouldn't be too bad of a side trip.

I knew you guys would come through for me! I just hate finding restaurants in visitors guides. They're never the best food.

Thanks!