Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broken Dome

Options
BigCK
BigCK Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was cooking tonight and went to open my egg; as i opened it to the fully open position my top fell out and landed behind my green egg and broke into 8 pieces. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before or has heard of it.
The dome had not topped out at the highest temperature and I have had my egg about 11 months and have never had a problem. I am lost for words and just looking for some answers and helpful hints to prevent this from happening again.

Thanks
Cullen

Comments

• Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Options
    1st of all, I'd like to say.....damn....just damn.
    I am sorry that happened. I think that on occasion
    all the bolts and nuts have to be checked for tightness.
    The constant opening and closing of the lid vibrates and
    can cause looseness. :angry:
    The porous mat'l of the egg probably expands and con-
    tracts also causing looseness. :(

The carriage bolts once tightened properly should begin to bend.
    Good luck with the next top and welcome to the forum.
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    Agree. One thing about this forum, it reminds you to do things like this once in a while. Every time I see this happen I check my bolts and they always turn, if only a little.
  • Greenhorn Green Egger
    Options
    Cullen,
    This happened to me last November. I know how you're feeling right now. Every time I open my dome now I'm afraid. I'm constantly checking, tightening and dread the day I have to remove the dome for maintenance or moving or whatever and have to put it back on. i put the one on that broke and then the dealer came and put the new one on and I haven't touched it since. I do check tightness often but did first one also. I posted pictures here on the forum for those who said it must not have been tightened properly.

On a better note, the mother ship customer service was excellent and replaced it for free. Worked out a deal with the dealer who paid half of the $75 shipping.

Not sure why they don't come out with a design that stays in place with more than friction and a prayer!
  • Vanzo
    Vanzo Posts: 125
    Options
    Now y'all have me scared to open mine again!!

I have to be honest with you, I have had mine for 10 years and have NEVER checked the nuts since the day the dealer installed it on my deck!!

Now I gotta go do it before opening it up again!! Guess I have just been lucky or my dealer really did a good job of tightening everything up.

Vanzo
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Sorry to read about this incident, I feel for ya. :ohmy:

You got good advice here. After reading this I'm going to check my band bolts on all 4 eggs. I believe I checked my 'smoker' egg (most used egg) a few months ago and it was tight.

Yeah, the metal bands expand and contract with the cycle of cooking and metal can stretch over time. Ceramics will expand/contract as well but, of course, at a different rate than steel. So it is advised to check the band bolts once in a while that they are on tight- nuts will turn with firm resistance within reason.(without going ape)

Goes to say that a routine spring and fall cleaning and safety check is adviseable....my spring cleaning is right around the corner.

Again sorry about your dome falling out. That event could cause me to have a heart attack. :(
  • BigCK
    BigCK Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks everyone much appreciated. Hard lesson to learn the day before a family reunion when you are hosting. Might be using an old weber top for the bbq tonight in place of the broken dome.

Cullen
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    If you were in socal, I have a dome that needs a bottom.