Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MadMax' Turkey

Options
Buttman
Buttman Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wow. I did the Turkey recipe TNW is so kind to post on his site that Mad Max shared with everyone I guess last November or so. That gravy is out of this world and the turkey was delicious. I brined ours for a day, and I think it was not needed ( I bought a fully natural unfrozen bird). Cooked a 12# bird at 325*F. I did the butter rub, a light dusting of chopped thyme, sage, and rosemary, and a sprinkle of Dizzy Dust. The bird just fit with an inverted plate setter, throw away drip pan with water, and grid on top, with roasting pan, V roast rack, and the bird.

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Buttman,
    sounds great. . .glad to hear it worked out so well for you. .. with the throw away drip pan, did you manage to save the drippings for the gravy?? . ...i had the hotline open today and smoked signals called to talk prime rib. .. next holiday, i'll have to make sure its open for all to call. ..its a lot of fun. ..

• Buttman
    Options
    I had the throw away on the platesetter, then the grid. On top of the grid was a large oval roastpan, with the turkey in it on a v-rack. So yes, I got all the drippings. Was about 40% fat, 60% heaven when seperated.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Buttman,
    yep, 40/60 sounds about what i end up with as well, but dang that crud is what really makes the gravy taste good. ..sounds like you'll be ready for thanksgiving now. ..[p]again, glad it all worked out well for you. ..

• Buttman
    Options
    Max,[p]The other key thing about your recipe is the amount of gravy it produces while preserving a rich flavor. I had a quantity without reduction other than for the stock during cook that more than can deal with left overs which most recipes lack. I am glad I tried it and tasted it and will do again. The all natural bird only came with the neck but still made decent stock. I tweaked the stock at the end with a touch of red wine for more body as it likely lacked the flavors the other goodies in the cavity usually bring.[p]-Mike