Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lechon Asado Recipe, anyone?

Options
Mudhole
Mudhole Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody have a good recipe for lechon asado. I'm about burned out on BBQ pork, and would like to try something different, Thanks Bill

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    hERE IS ONE:

Pork, Butt, Lechon Asado, Mojo, WDAN, Cuban

As I mentioned during the December holidays, I did a low 'n slow pork butt called Lechon Asado for New Years' Eve. Oh yeah, baby! If you are looking for yet another excuse to do L&S pork butt, but want it different than traditional Carolina pull, try this! My guests loved it and I actually liked it too (I'm my own worst critic).While this is a Cuban Christmas Eve roast-a-whole-pig thing, I approximated it by doing a 9.5 lb pork butt on the egg.

INGREDIENTS:
    Marinade (do it for 24 hrs)
    12-15 Cloves as many as you're willing to mince) cloves garlic
    1 Tbs kosher salt
    2 tsp cumin (ground)
    2 tsp oregano (dried)
    1 1/2 cups fresh lime juice
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1 Tbs olive oil
    It would be best if you can do this in a food processor and get it to turn out like a thick salad dressing...I was lazy and just hand-blended it all in a bowl...but it seemed to work just fine.
    After 12- 24 hrs of marinating, egg the pig indirectly at a dome temp of 250-ish until meat internal temp is 200 -- just like you're doing a pull. My 9.5 lb butt needed a little over 20 hrs. I used some peach wood in the lump intead of doing my normal hic
    The meat had a decidedly different flavor than the normal fair and was further differentiated by the Mojo sauce:
    MOJO SAUCE
    1 cup olive oil
    12 cloves garlic (sliced thin)
    1 cup fresh lime juice
    1/3 cup orange juice
    2 tsp kosher salt
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp dried oregano
    ground black pepper to taste (~1 tsp)

Procedure:
    1 Simmer all this in a sauce pan for about 20 minutes or so. Serve as a side dip for the pork.
    2 Embellishments:
    3 The meat is different than traditional pull, but not overwhelmingly so. The mojo does it right, but as someone mentioned when I first posted my intention of doing this cook, traditional Carolina vinegar sauce would be absolutely outstanding with this meat (refer to legendary Elder Ward documentation).
    4 If you're looking for a different kind of pull, try this! The Cuban thing was a smash hit at my Anglo house. Black beans and rice were a perfect complement, not to mention the music!

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: WDAN

Source: BGE Forum, WDan, 2004/01/07
  • JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    Options
    I made Lechon Asado in a BGE and a crock pot. Both were different but my experience is by the time you've smoked the butt for over 10 hours the rub or marinade is really just a faint background taste. I've had better results by slicing garlic into slivers, slitting small holes in the butt and shoving the slivers down into the pork.

But, my favorite recipe is this:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/mojopork.htm

the mojo sauce you mix into the pork is fantastic.