Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Questions

sbonder
sbonder Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
About to pick up a large to replace my WSM. I cannot seem to find any info on what comes with the BGE and what else I need. Why are there different types of grid materials (i always went stainless before), why the woo is useful (though i do get the multi layer grill attachments).

Anyway, this will primarily be a smoker and occasional griller in my setup. I'll be adding a Stoker at initial setup to make the long smokes easier and would greatly appreciate your insight into what to get with the BGE. The store (the headquarters in Georgia) is like a candy store! i want it all.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

If I were starting over again, knowing what I know now.

Large which is the basic egg with the grid.

If you don't have a table, get the nest & egg mates, I really like the egg mates and then buy or build a separate work table if needed.

. BGE ash tool
    . I wouldn't get the plate setter yet - or ever.
    . Adjustable Rig and Spider - (Ceramic Grill Store - member tjv)
    . possibly a heavy duty pizza stone (Ceramic Grill Store)
    . Thermapen (a must have) - no substitutes.
    . ThirdHand (grid lift - by member Thirdeye)
    . Possible a MAPP torch - but not necessary. Use oil & paper towel to light the lump.
    . I really enjoy my Stoker and DigiQII. If I only had one or the other I would get the Stoker.
    . Dutch Oven is great but you can pick that up anytime
    . Maverick ET-732 dual probe thermometer (not necessary but really nice for those shorter cooks)
    . Wiggle Rod, make your own or pick one up from thirdeye. Other members offer them also.

You will learn what other accessories you may want.

I don't use a lot of the stuff I bought thinking I had to have.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

GG
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Get the platesetter, that's needed for indirect cooking.
    Get something to raise the grid to the top of the egg, the woo is a good choice. For me it's just easier to access the meat when doing burgers or steaks. Also gets the meat farther away so the heat is not as intense.
    The adjustable rig looks nice for more rack space but I have not used one.

Get a good thermometer like a thermapen. A remote thermometer like the maverick 732 is nice to have.

I like the ash pan from BGE but there are cheaper home made solutions too.
    Something to rake the ash out, BGE makes one but I use a piece of bent metal.

A temp controller like the DigiQ is on my list but it's expensive. Seems like it makes it easier to manage temps.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I go with Kent.
    No on the platesetter.
    Now I like my weedburner to start it with:
    photo-10-3.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SheepDog
    SheepDog Posts: 176
    How are you guys managing indirect cooking without a plate sitter?
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    SheepDog, A lot of eggheads here cook indirect using setups from the ceramicgrillstore.com

I use a spider and baking stone under the adjustable rig and smoke using multi levels. Go to the site and read about the many ways to cook using your egg and then ask around here and see what you think. Tim :)
  • Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    I am with gramps. When I got the large a little over a year ago I got everything you could think of including the plate setter. Also got the three tier rack and the cast iron grid. I almost never use the plate setter. Most of the time I use the adjustable rig with a large pizza stone. It works fine. To go indirect you only need something between the food and the fire. Tonight I did a meat loaf on the mini using a Corning ware pie plate as the plate setter.
  • sbonder
    sbonder Posts: 7
    The guy at the headquarters did make a big deal aboutnhow great the platesetter is, but then said it should not be used withnlegs down as that burns up the gasket. Henpointedout the cookbook (p17) and said do not do what this says with then plate setter. That made me wonder about it's versatility
  • Grandpas Grub

Here is how I indirect cook. After getting tvj's AR and Spider, 3 years ago, I have only used the plate setter 2 times.

I use the spider inverted and have a deep dish stainless steel pizza pan from Walmart. I foil it so I don't have to clean the pizza pan. Then the adjustable rig with the grid on top and finally the food.

I also use a broiler pan that 2fategghead was kind enough to notch out and send to me.

chicken1plug3rdeyeplug.jpg

Here is a better picture of the set up and other than not foiling the pizza pan. The indirect set up is not needed when using a ceramic or CI dutch oven. This DO base diameter is too small for the circle on the spider and I need the pan so the DO sits on top of the inverted spider.
    chili1.jpg

GG

GG
  • Grandpas Grub

Any mass close to the gasket (within about 3") will cause problems with the adhesive on the felt gasket and generally results in gasket failure up to and including the melting of the felt.

I had the DFMT close to the gasket and at 475° I melted the felt gasket.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    FSM-Meatball wrote:
    Get the platesetter, that's needed for indirect cooking...

Some folks like using the plate setter, and there is no problem with that.

However, the plate setter is heavy, hard to add smoking wood, hard to change if needed in the middle of a cook.

It is not needed for indirect cooking as there are other options. See my post above.

The plate setter is less expensive than getting an adjustable rig and spider but the cost difference is more than made up for the versatility of the AR/Spider combo.

my 2¢, FWIW,

GG