Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Meat Grinders

EGGARYEGGARY Posts: 1,222
edited 5:48AM in EggHead Forum
I ordered the STX Turboforce 3000 on Amazon today.

How many here grind their own meat ? I know I will be able to grind meat for hamburgers. What kind of "blends" will I be able to make and/or what cuts of meats make good burgers ? What else can I do with the Grinder ?

Thanks.

Gary
·

Comments

• ranger rayranger ray Posts: 812
    i have been grinding my own meat for 35 years..... started with a hand crank..... then bought a little "oster" model..... now i have a one horsepower cabela's grinder...u can used the grinder to stuff sausage.... make hamburger patties...run a meat cuber.... and i use a jerky slicer for it too..... there 's nothing like making freshly ground meats.... i grind deer.... beef .... pork.... chicken and turkey....i like ground chuck for burgers.... i grind pork and some beef for stuffed cabbages( referred to as "halupki's" around here the nepa coal region..... i also have a motorized 30 pound stuffer.... and a 30 pound mixed..... most folks don't need that kind of "fire power"..... but if there's a cabela;s near you..... you can get things at a tremendous discount in the " bargain cave"....( folks return things) i suspect they buy it during hunting season.... use the gear and return the stuff after using it thereby avoiding the purchase of said equipment....i wish i would have bought heavy duty gear (could not afford it when i was a college kid)... it takes me more time to clean the gear than it does now that i have quality gear....
    ·
  • ranger rayranger ray Posts: 812
    i meant to say..... i can crank out a 30 pound batch of sausage....in less time than it takes to clean up....
    ·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    I hear you with that, my clean up time is much longer than my grinding and stuffing. -RP
    ·
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,254
    I grind my own beef when I have the trimmings. I have also made sage sausage and chorizo using the recipe from Smoke n Spice (Jamisons).

I only have the Kitchenaid grinding attachment, which is okay for light weight/personal use.
    Knoxville, TN
    ·
  • That's the model that I've been watching as well. Let me/us know what you think about it. Reviews are good but I have to clear out some space to hide it so momma doesn't notice it for a while...lol.

BD
    ·