Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Meat Grinders

EGGARYEGGARY Posts: 1,222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I ordered the STX Turboforce 3000 on Amazon today.

How many here grind their own meat ? I know I will be able to grind meat for hamburgers. What kind of "blends" will I be able to make and/or what cuts of meats make good burgers ? What else can I do with the Grinder ?

Thanks.

Gary

Comments

• ranger rayranger ray Posts: 812
    i have been grinding my own meat for 35 years..... started with a hand crank..... then bought a little "oster" model..... now i have a one horsepower cabela's grinder...u can used the grinder to stuff sausage.... make hamburger patties...run a meat cuber.... and i use a jerky slicer for it too..... there 's nothing like making freshly ground meats.... i grind deer.... beef .... pork.... chicken and turkey....i like ground chuck for burgers.... i grind pork and some beef for stuffed cabbages( referred to as "halupki's" around here the nepa coal region..... i also have a motorized 30 pound stuffer.... and a 30 pound mixed..... most folks don't need that kind of "fire power"..... but if there's a cabela;s near you..... you can get things at a tremendous discount in the " bargain cave"....( folks return things) i suspect they buy it during hunting season.... use the gear and return the stuff after using it thereby avoiding the purchase of said equipment....i wish i would have bought heavy duty gear (could not afford it when i was a college kid)... it takes me more time to clean the gear than it does now that i have quality gear....
  • ranger rayranger ray Posts: 812
    i meant to say..... i can crank out a 30 pound batch of sausage....in less time than it takes to clean up....
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    I hear you with that, my clean up time is much longer than my grinding and stuffing. -RP
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,238
    I grind my own beef when I have the trimmings. I have also made sage sausage and chorizo using the recipe from Smoke n Spice (Jamisons).

I only have the Kitchenaid grinding attachment, which is okay for light weight/personal use.
  • That's the model that I've been watching as well. Let me/us know what you think about it. Reviews are good but I have to clear out some space to hide it so momma doesn't notice it for a while...lol.

BD