Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Table

wilmcooker
wilmcooker Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is everyone's suggestion on either buying a table or building a table. What are the easiest plans to follow if building is the way I go? I would have to borrow the saw's, are there sites where I can go and buy pre-cut wood and just drill, nail and glue everything together?

Thanks for the feedback in advance.

Comments

• Hic
    Hic Posts: 350

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• Brew'nQue
    Brew'nQue Posts: 44
    I used the nakedwhiz plans to build my table a month or so back. The plans are great...very detailed. I'm pretty much a beginner woodworker, but everything was pretty easy to do. (it just took me longer than it would a more experienced woodworker)

I probably ended up spending more money than I would have had I just bought an already built table...but I bought a new saw and a few other pieces of equipment that I can use on other projects...and it gave me valuable experience for down the road.
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Naked Whiz site is great!

Don't forget about the EggheadForums Table pages though! Lots of good info in both sites.
  • OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118
    You'll probably spend more time building a table than you expect, but I think it's worth the effort. Cost wise, I think I spent considerably less than I would have on a comparable table. Find a lumber yard that will make most/all of your cuts.
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    It depends on how handy you are. If you can use a saw and drill, then build one. If you dont know which end of the screwdriver to use, then buy one. In the end it is cheaper to build, but your time is free.

I used the basic plans from NakedWhiz and made a few modifications.

Be careful about the height, make sure you compensate for the hinge. I had to cut out part of the top of my table for the hinge to clear.
  • Squirtle
    Squirtle Posts: 15
    Here's a table I built for my XL. It was around 100 bucks. I used cheap 2x4s for most of it. The hard part will be cutting the hole in the top without a jigsaw or a band-saw.
    XLcart.jpg
  • Thanks guys. My problem would be cutting the hole...i don't think i have a saw that would work, but i think it would be a blast to build and i got the time even if it takes a few saturday afternoons. Would you all say you spent more or less than $125 on materials (minus equipment - just wood, nails, screws, glue, etc..)?
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    I can't answer the cost b/c I have yet to build a table, but I know a lot of it will depend on the wood you use. Also you could always go to a big box store when you are ready and rent a jigsaw (just a thought).

Good luck!

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• Good call on the rental. If i do this hopefully i don't cut off a finger. :P
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Building your own table is cheap and easy. I used pressure treat yella wood and it was like $40-$50 in wood and $15 in screws (I used 3" stainless deck screws so it was more expensive)and both of my tables are pretty big. Took about 4-5 hours for each table but that was because I designed as I went. The table for my small and mini is pretty cool because the mini comes out and doubles as a stand when I go camping with it. I used a black and decker jig saw that cost me like $20. The easiest way to measure the hole to cut is to put the top of the egg where you want the egg to sit and trace it.

Picture225.jpg

Picture247.jpg

Picture249.jpg
  • MO Mule
    MO Mule Posts: 81
    I spent close to a hundred bucks for materials. I used treated wood and built it in a day.
  • MO Mule
    MO Mule Posts: 81
    I like that design.
  • BigCK
    BigCK Posts: 14
    I would say building a table is a lot cheaper and easier. Following a simple set of plans such as naked whiz is where I started then I just browsed photos of other tables to come up with ideas. This table I just recently finished cost me around $120 and a couple of hours a day the past two weeks. Note; already had the granite and butcher block but buying scrap granite/stone is not horribly expense from places that install granite counter tops. Here are a few pictures of my build and table.

04aea3da.jpg
    Finished-dome fell out of bracket last night :angry:
    4b2d800c.jpg

Cullen
  • Sweet table - thanks for all the responses! I will let you all know how it turns out.
  • do most of you use 2x4 for the framing or Decking?? 5/4ths.......THANKS!