Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Grinders

Options
EGGARY
EGGARY Posts: 1,222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I ordered the STX Turboforce 3000 on Amazon today.

How many here grind their own meat ? I know I will be able to grind meat for hamburgers. What kind of "blends" will I be able to make and/or what cuts of meats make good burgers ? What else can I do with the Grinder ?

Thanks.

Gary

Comments

• ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    i have been grinding my own meat for 35 years..... started with a hand crank..... then bought a little "oster" model..... now i have a one horsepower cabela's grinder...u can used the grinder to stuff sausage.... make hamburger patties...run a meat cuber.... and i use a jerky slicer for it too..... there 's nothing like making freshly ground meats.... i grind deer.... beef .... pork.... chicken and turkey....i like ground chuck for burgers.... i grind pork and some beef for stuffed cabbages( referred to as "halupki's" around here the nepa coal region..... i also have a motorized 30 pound stuffer.... and a 30 pound mixed..... most folks don't need that kind of "fire power"..... but if there's a cabela;s near you..... you can get things at a tremendous discount in the " bargain cave"....( folks return things) i suspect they buy it during hunting season.... use the gear and return the stuff after using it thereby avoiding the purchase of said equipment....i wish i would have bought heavy duty gear (could not afford it when i was a college kid)... it takes me more time to clean the gear than it does now that i have quality gear....
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    i meant to say..... i can crank out a 30 pound batch of sausage....in less time than it takes to clean up....
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I hear you with that, my clean up time is much longer than my grinding and stuffing. -RP
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I grind my own beef when I have the trimmings. I have also made sage sausage and chorizo using the recipe from Smoke n Spice (Jamisons).

I only have the Kitchenaid grinding attachment, which is okay for light weight/personal use.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    That's the model that I've been watching as well. Let me/us know what you think about it. Reviews are good but I have to clear out some space to hide it so momma doesn't notice it for a while...lol.

BD
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Bringing back a thread from 2011...

I'm thinking about getting the STX 3000 grinder.   For $150 you still get size #12 and 1200 watts, so it seems like a good deal compared to others I've seen - and has good Amazon reviews. 

Weston's look nice too, but I only grind 15-20 pounds of meat at a time - I think they might be overkill since I mainly just grind brisket and short ribs.     I've given up on my KA attachment, so I need to upgrade.

Any STX users out there?? 

Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    I have a#12 LEM, I am sure STX is good, I have seen them on plenty of youtube video's . I might offer this up, if you are looking @ trying a dedicated grinder, I had a $50.00 Harbor Freight that did an awesome job for what you are looking for and I was more than pleased..

While you are at it, order a sausage stuffer and join the fray
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Buy a choice+ brisket or a prime brisket and trim it like you are cooking it. Then grind the whole thing alternating between the point and the flat to spread the fat evenly. 

AMAZING Burgers. I like mine coarse ground loose packed then into the freezer. Straight from the freezer, take the patty out and season and onto a nice 500 degree egg direct and close to the fire. This gives time to build a crust without overcooking the center. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    Bringing back a thread from 2011...

I'm thinking about getting the STX 3000 grinder.   For $150 you still get size #12 and 1200 watts, so it seems like a good deal compared to others I've seen - and has good Amazon reviews. 

Weston's look nice too, but I only grind 15-20 pounds of meat at a time - I think they might be overkill since I mainly just grind brisket and short ribs.     I've given up on my KA attachment, so I need to upgrade.

Any STX users out there?? 

Just saw this... don't necro a thread. Just start a new one. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Just saw this... don't necro a thread. Just start a new one. 

Yeah, but its kinda funny.  OP hasn't even visited the forum for over 2 yrs.

Phoenix