Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Baby backs and Chicken

Misippi EggerMisippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Memorial Day cook:

Baby backs-one rack seasoned with only DP PineappleHead rub, the other rack with Vieux Carre Rib Rub I picked up in New Orleans in March. Both got the yellar mustard pre-rub treatment.
DSC_0404.jpg
DSC_0407.jpg
Indirect cook on top rack of the Adjustable Rig over a drip pan. 200* dome for an hour, then 225* for the next hour and 250-275* the 3rd hour (spritzing with apple juice/apple cider vinegar each hour). Removed and foiled with "fake" butter (Smart Butter or whatever the wife had) and apple juice. Braised for 30 -45 min. at 275*, then out of the foil and 'firmed up' for about 10-15 min.
DSC_0424.jpg
Served dry with Blues Hog on the side.
Vieux Carre Rib Rub (surprisingly NOT spicy hot):
DSC_0426.jpg
DP Pineapple Head rub:
DSC_0427.jpg
They would not have scored high in comp, only because they were sooo tender and 'fall off the bone' good ! (They were falling apart when coming off the grill). :woohoo:

Also wanted to try this Chicken Recipe I had seen on an America's Test Kitchen video: Italian Grilled Chicken
Raws:
DSC_0408.jpg
Spatchcock the chicken. Saute olive oil, garlic, lemon zest, adding rosemary, thyme and pinch of red pepper. Strain, add S&P to paste and stuff under skin. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Season underside and meat with S&P. I grilled, skin down, on the small, indirect (350*) for 20 min with preheated foiled bricks on top. Then removed the platesetter, flipped to bone-down with bricks - 15 min. (From pic you can see the skin stuck after the initial cook (forgot to oil my grate before putting the chicken on :angry
DSC_0423.jpg
Flipped to bone-down (no bricks) until done (was already done and falling apart at this point). Probably need to cook at 300* next time... ;)
DSC_0428.jpg
Not an impressive 'carved' pic, but it was flavorful and juicy. The reserved oil from the garlic, herb saute was mixed with lemon juice, some reserved herbs and served over the pieces.
Good recipe, but a lot of prep work. :ohmy:

I hope others had a great Memorial Day and remembered those who have sacrificed for us to be free ! :woohoo:

Comments