Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quest for fall off the bone ribs

Options
CaptainBBQ
CaptainBBQ Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
To all the "eggsperts![p]Thanks a million for this forum....you all have made this a great learning eggsperience....[p]But, I am not done yet! Had some great baby backs this weekend...they were super. Had them elevated in the egg with a dome temp of 210 for 4 hours. Used Mesquite for taste...and it worked! So, what's the problem? I would like to get them more tender. Any suggestions? Should have I left them on longer?[p]Thanks again...you all are the best[p]CaptainBBQ

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Captain BBQ,[p]The description of the perfectly cooked rib is that the meat pulls cleanly from the bone when eaten. Fall off the bone is an overcooked rib.[p]Spin
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Spin, please don't take offence. But, the perfect rib is the one cooked the way the person eating it, likes it! [p]It has absolutely nothing to do with how others perceive the perfect rib to be!

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Gfw,[p]No offense taken and I agree with your point.[p]Everyone needs a starting point on the quest for their own perfect rib cook. The accepted standard for rib evaluation is the only point available to start with. This standard only has to do with the cook, not the flavor of the meal, and provides a goal to achieve prior to improvement.[p]Spin[p][p]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Captain BBQ,Like Spin and Gfw have illustrated, evryone prefers their ribs a bit differently. I have tried many methods, and have settled on 300 indirect, over liquid filled drip pan. About 3-4 hours for babybacks. They are moist, and pull cleanly from the bone. Try them different ways, and see what you like.[p]Reverend Jim, who we haven't heard from lately, finishes his in foil and swears by it. Some like the smokier crustier results you get by cooking direct.[p]Have fun sperimenting!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Captain BBQ,[p]While I don't advocate the method - wrapping the meat in foil during part of the cooking process might produce what you're after. On my website is a pork adventure called - Ribs fall'n off the bone. I did the foil part last and I was not happy with them since they were freshly "steamed" when I removed them from the foil. Good golly they were sloppy fall'n off the bone tender - too tender for me. GFW does a method where he puts them direct on the grid after the foil wrap - that has got to be better. [p]Tim M
    [ul][li]- Tim' -[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Gfw, oh I agree and I had to laugh at myself as my idea of "perfect ribs" for the last 12 years had been what I call now "tough jerky with a bone through it", as I cut them apart and smoked them until the fire went out in Mr Smoker and then coated with Kraft's BBQ! My first attempt on the BGE was about a 1000% improvement...da, where did that moisture come from?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gfw
    Options
    RRP, George T (Morton) was going to take his egg to the mayors 'Rib Whatever' - wanta go watch? George T - are you still going?

• CaptainBBQ
    CaptainBBQ Posts: 29
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]This is exactly what I am looking for... Can't wait to give it a try. Don't think I could do the foil thing. I like them crisp on the outside.[p]I will give you a report...[p]Thanks again,[p]CaptainBBQ
  • Gfw
    Options
    05_02_0017_48_01.jpg
    <p />CaptainBBQ, the ribs in the picture spent about 45 minutes in the foil - the outside looks crispy to me -- and I'll guarantee you that the inside was tender and juicy - until you've tried it, you won't know what you are missing!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • George T.
    George T. Posts: 13
    Options
    CaptainBBQ,
    Don't be fooled, the foil can be used and you can get nice crust. Just make sure you don't stop after the foil. I have found that finishing with 30-60 min. over direct coals(210 degrees) restores the crust and allows the meat to be more tender.[p]My family prefers this method. I like them a little firmer.