Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broken Wusthof knife handles update

Options
Mainegg
Mainegg Posts: 7,787
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I emailed Wusthof this morning as I knew the knifes had been delivered to them last week. I just got this back in reply:
Hello, Julie
We shipped your replacements knives on May 25th, they should be arriving soon.
Regards,
Juliana
info@wusthof.com
Wusthof-Trident Inc
333 Wilson Avenue
Norwalk, CT 06854
I am a very happy girl!!

Well the door bell just rang and it was the mail lady with a box from Wusthof! all 15 knives were replaced free of charge. I paid shipping to them.
IMAG0375-2.jpg

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i checked a set of steak knives my wife bought me a while ago, and they all had the cracks. same spot, same exact crack.

what's the protocol here? email them?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mainegg
    Options
    Jeff, I just emailed them and told them what I had and that they have always been hand washed and dried and they said send them back and they would look at them and determine warranty issues. I pointed out that these were only a couple of years old and that I hoped they were covered.
    info@wusthof.com
    sent them back to:
    Wusthof-Trident Inc
    333 Wilson Avenue
    Norwalk, CT 06854
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    cool. thanks. mine have never even been immersed. i hold the handle, wash the blade, and wipe the handle once or twice.

i'll let you know how i make out.
    weird.

i'm pretty sure it's a phenolic resin (like billiard balls). stuff should be pretty rugged, but since my cracks are the same exact crack, same place, i'm thinking it has a lot more to do with the distance of the rivet to the edge (too close)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mainegg
    Options
    are they the Classic's? They seem to have an issue with stress cracks at the rivets. kind of like the gaskets with the eggs LOL but the handle is a bit more vital to their use.... the lady I dealt with was very nice and took right care of it.
  • Mainegg
    Options
    I just forwarded you my correspondence with them.
  • BarManBean
    BarManBean Posts: 129
    Options
    I have a set of these myself...where exactly were the cracks? I will have to check when I get home...
  • Mainegg
    Options
    Michael, look at the rivets. there is where mine were all at. it was very fine and hard to see on a few of them but I washed in hot soapy water and almost polished them and you could see hairline ones on a few the rest were very easy to see. One broke into pieces when Neil was using it and this is what prompted me to write them and inspect the others. they were very prompt and took care of it quickly with no questions.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Two thumbs' up for their Customer Service, if not the knives themselves... :( Hope these work better for you.

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• 43moon
    43moon Posts: 15
    Options
    Wow, I just discovered that some of my Classics have cracks at the rivets as well.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    I have had Wustof Grand Prix's for a bunch of years and never had anything like this.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    GOod luck with your new set Julie, hope you have better luck with these. ;)