Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any body ever do CWM\'s quick ribs?

Options
Scottborasjr
Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys and gals, have a craving for some ribs but don't have the time to cook them regular style tomorrow. Unfortunately too many errands and such that have to get done. Anyway, thinking about doing CWM's quick ribs and had a couple of questions. When he said to flip the ribs 45 minutes into the cook while they are in the rib rack does it mean to take the section of ribs and turn them so the former top is now facing the heat. And when he say to foil them, are they foiled out flat or in the rib rack. Thanks for any assistance. ;)

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=891917&catid=1
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    I think he did mean flip in the rib rack so the bottom is now up. You'll be able to tell if the bottoms are darker.

Putting the racks back in the rack after foiling may tear the foil. I'd foil em flat.

Hope it helps! Good luck.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I did some St Louis yesterday to take to a party. Cooked indirect 250F 3 1/2 hours spritzed every 30-45 minutes after first hour.
    Due to time constraints, foiled after 3 1/2 hours and did a rack of 30 wings @ 300F laid the foiled ribs on BGE while wings cooking and then total time 4 1/2 hours took wings wrapped in foil, left ribs in foil and placed all in a cooler towel wrapped. Ate 4 hours later and the ribs were eggcelent. Did not put any sauce on these until when served. CWM's are usually cooked flat starting w/bones down.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Thanks Chris, that's what I was thinking but needed a second opinion.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Can someone please point me to the CWM directions where he mentions using foil during his rib cook?
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Sorry Rich, but we can't do the impossible. ;)

Rich...I sit here 20 minutes later with my foot in my mouth. Mike did indeed do a 'quick' method. I have posted the link to Scott. ;) Learn something new every day!
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    ScottBorasjr: Wish we could still ask Mike!! And forgive my reply to Rich above...I will add an edit. I am the first admit, we learn something new every day!! And honestly, I never ever saw Mike do a 'quick' method before...

Here's Mikes link (still strange to see connections with Mike for a lot of us.)
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=891917&catid=1

I can only make a reasonable guess, but best conclusion I can come to is like you said, flip the top to the bottom while in the rack. Then foil flat would be my best conclusion. Just don't foil too long, or you will end up with mush. Have fun, and don't overthink it.
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Sorry guys, should have included the link in my initial post. I have placed it there now.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    WOW!! The sky must be falling.

I once mentioned foil and ribs in the same sentence to Mike and he jumped on me for even mentioning it.