Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby backs and Chicken

Options
Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Memorial Day cook:

Baby backs-one rack seasoned with only DP PineappleHead rub, the other rack with Vieux Carre Rib Rub I picked up in New Orleans in March. Both got the yellar mustard pre-rub treatment.
DSC_0404.jpg
DSC_0407.jpg
Indirect cook on top rack of the Adjustable Rig over a drip pan. 200* dome for an hour, then 225* for the next hour and 250-275* the 3rd hour (spritzing with apple juice/apple cider vinegar each hour). Removed and foiled with "fake" butter (Smart Butter or whatever the wife had) and apple juice. Braised for 30 -45 min. at 275*, then out of the foil and 'firmed up' for about 10-15 min.
DSC_0424.jpg
Served dry with Blues Hog on the side.
Vieux Carre Rib Rub (surprisingly NOT spicy hot):
DSC_0426.jpg
DP Pineapple Head rub:
DSC_0427.jpg
They would not have scored high in comp, only because they were sooo tender and 'fall off the bone' good ! (They were falling apart when coming off the grill). :woohoo:

Also wanted to try this Chicken Recipe I had seen on an America's Test Kitchen video: Italian Grilled Chicken
Raws:
DSC_0408.jpg
Spatchcock the chicken. Saute olive oil, garlic, lemon zest, adding rosemary, thyme and pinch of red pepper. Strain, add S&P to paste and stuff under skin. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Season underside and meat with S&P. I grilled, skin down, on the small, indirect (350*) for 20 min with preheated foiled bricks on top. Then removed the platesetter, flipped to bone-down with bricks - 15 min. (From pic you can see the skin stuck after the initial cook (forgot to oil my grate before putting the chicken on :angry
DSC_0423.jpg
Flipped to bone-down (no bricks) until done (was already done and falling apart at this point). Probably need to cook at 300* next time... ;)
DSC_0428.jpg
Not an impressive 'carved' pic, but it was flavorful and juicy. The reserved oil from the garlic, herb saute was mixed with lemon juice, some reserved herbs and served over the pieces.
Good recipe, but a lot of prep work. :ohmy:

I hope others had a great Memorial Day and remembered those who have sacrificed for us to be free ! :woohoo:

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    It all looks GREAT,as usual. :)
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks, Hoss. It was only Jana and me, but it was fun cooking and we had lots of leftovers - in fact - that was our dinner tonight, also ! :woohoo:

I knew braising the ribs would make them overly tender, but they were sooo good !

If you get to NOLA and can find some of that rub, it was surprisingly good!
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Hey Clark!
    You said "They would not have scored high in comp, only because they were sooo tender and 'fall off the bone' good ! (They were falling apart when coming off the grill)."

At the Royal Invitational a few years ago, a team got a call for 10th place ribs. This is out of 120 teams that had won grand championships that year. Nice call, and the guy was jumping up and down when he got to the stage. The MC went down with the microphone, and asked the guy what he did special to get such a call among an elite crowd of cooks.

"I overcooked them!" he said.

You'd be surprised how well those would do! Nice cook mang.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks, Chris. I appreciate your comments - and LOVE your rubs !

Interesting rib comp story !

I was taught in KCBS certified judge class that if the meat pulled off the bone the ribs were overcooked (as you well know). I have followed that standard when judging, but don't down-score more than 1 point for that, if the flavor is right on.
    They would have been awesome 'backyard' category ribs, though.

Final judge - The wifey said they were the best ribs I have ever cooked (she only ate the DP PineappleHead ones). :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Clark,, ya can't beat a chicken and rib dinner. Did some of that yesterday
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    What they teach the judges drives me nuts. I think in order to teach new judges what good bbq is, they end up convincing them the meat should "pull" a certain way, or "do" a certain thing to be worthy of a high score. But really it's all about how the meat feels in your mouth. Through 10 years of competing it is clear that the judges still write down high scores for ribs that come off the bone. As long as they are moist and tasty.

You could have very easily won a pro contest with those ribs!

Simply IMHO!
    Cheers bud.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Love that yellar mustard.... ;) I'll bet the chicken was delicious. I like quick and easy, but this looks like it was worth the effort.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Still eatin' on it, Pat.

Thanks !
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks. The chicken really WAS good. Even better last night when re-warmed !
  • CaptDave
    CaptDave Posts: 54
    Options
    Looks very good, I worked Memorial Day so no cook out for me, but then that was my choice provided by all those who gave so much so we (Americans) have a choice to make each and every day! God Bless our troops!
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    Options
    wow!!!
    greaaat job!!!
    nice cooking!!!
    they look awesome!!!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    nice viddles, blues hog has a new sauce out. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks for the kind WooHoos! :laugh: :woohoo:
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks, Tom.
    Blues Hog is rare around here. I accidentally found some at a small-town, local grocery chain. Bought a bottle of original and TN Red. This was the first time to try it. It was good, but Carnivore still remains our favorite!
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Now we are talking Clark
    Keep these post coming
    Looks great :)

Shane
  • walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    Options
    I have to agree with Chris, they don't appear to be too "fall off the bone" to me. Since you got a nice clean cut when cutting them individually I'd say they were dialed in just right. I just took the KCBS judges class and yes, they talk extensively about bite through and the teeth ring left in the meat. My personal feeling is that if you take a bite with only your teeth making contact with the meat, some meat should stay on the bone, but it doesn't have to be a perfect half moon. If all the meat pulls off, then yes, I'd knock off one to two points. Just my opinion.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I just got ATK's 2011 summer grilling issue and the Italian chicken is one of the dishes I have marked to try. Glad to have your feedback on it.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks, Shane.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    They use a Weber and don't give a cooking temp, so I tried 350* on my small, elevated on my Grate Mates. Probably need a little cooler or farther from the coals, like would happen on a large. It was good, just cooked faster than the recipe.

Also made a real newbie mistake and forgot to oil the grate, thus had the skin stick badly on the first skin-down cook.

Good luck.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Clark, if I had come over for dinner I would eaten both a half slab of ribs and a quarter of a chicken!!!!! Looks delicious. :)