Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Home for Mr BGE (7 pics)

MCR
MCR Posts: 270
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Built a table over the last few weekend for the Mr BGE.

The main features of this table are; the wood is Red Cedars, Porcelain top, 4 caster wheels and easy slide in and out for the BGE (from the back).

The raws ingredients

Theraws-2.jpg

Theraws-3.jpg

Taking shape...
BaseLegs-2.jpg

Starting to look like a table
Frame_3.jpg

Almost complete (missing sealer and stain)
Table_1.jpg

End or side view...
Sideview.jpg

The Final NEW Home
Newhome.jpg
Marc

Comments

• MCR
    Thanks for the comments
    Marc
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Looks good!

How do you like the XL?

Ted
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Beautiful table...please check with someone about putting the BGE on a paver stone as the bottom gets very hot & may scorch or burn your table...
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    nice work

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • MCR
    Ted,

Thanks for the comments. I'm very please with the table that I built.

I love the BGE cooker/grill/smoker/oven. The XL is good.

For entertaining, groups and family functions the XL is fantastic. It is easy to plan a meal or add side dishes without having to use multi-tiers or without room to flip and turn the food such as sausages. I already cook few LARGE turkeys, pizzas for a large group, 3 larges chicken at once (spatchcock style) or 6 racks of ribs flat.

For everyday cooking… it huge! But I can’t blame the BGE because guest who selected the size?

So, yes, I’m already thinking about a new addition to the family, as small brother… and probably a charcoal ring reducer.
    Marc
  • Le Oeuf Vert
    Le Oeuf Vert Posts: 512
    Very nice. I like the way the casters are hidden.
  • MCR
    Kim,

Thanks for the comments, I ‘m proud of my table.
    I do not like the look of paver stone.

The egg is sitting on spacers on top of porcelain mounted on cement board.

I’m monitoring the temperature below where I have contact with wood. I was a bit hot before on a long cook but seem better since I added the spacers.

I know about scorching and spontaneous combustion, so I’m keeping a eye open.

Thanks again.
    Marc
  • MCR
  • MCR
    Mark,

Thanks for the comments, I ‘m proud of my table.

The main goal was not to hide the casters but to have the maximum storage room, the most possible strength or less stress possible on the frame when moving the table and the egg around.

And yes you are right, I like the appearance of this sporty low rider. I did not want to create the monster truck look.

Thanks again.
    Marc
  • MemphisQue
    MemphisQue Posts: 610
    Like the tile work
  • MCR
    Thank You, The tiles end up better than imagine...
    Marc
  • I like that table, I have to make one as well. My XL BGE looks like it could fall over in the nest.

Thanks for posting.
  • MCR
    Greg,

Welcome to the forum. You will find ideas and advice on many topics.

I'm please and proud of my table.

This section of the forum and the naked whiz website http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm have valuable information and photos about many different table styles and designs. I used both site as resources.

Good Luck!
    Marc
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Marc,
    Very nice table and tile work.Here's another naked whiz article you should read.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/eggbase/eggbase.htm
  • MCR
    Jon,

Thanks for the comments, I‘m proud of my table.
    I do not like the look of paver stone.

The egg is sitting on spacers on top of porcelain mounted on cement board.

I’m monitoring the temperature below where I have contact with the support wood. I was a bit hot before on a long cook but seem better but still too high for my liking since I added the spacers. I will be changing the spacer for the BGE feets shortly. I was expecting better heat insulation from the cement board... Another option would be to replace the wooden support for a piece of metal, I'm even considering about adding heat shink to it.

I know about scorching and spontaneous combustion, so I’m keeping an eye on it, measuring the temperature during various cooks.

Thanks again.
    Marc
  • YetiBob
    YetiBob Posts: 65
    Looks GREAT - BUT That is NOT enoughfire protection! I know from experience, you NEED a much thicker base, and it needs to be on feet. I had a fire on mine - please beef it up and add the feet....
    In Maryland
  • MCR
    Thanks for the comments.

I wanted a look something different than the egg sitting on an expose paver stone.

The egg is now sitting on the green feet on top of porcelain mounted on cement board. I was expecting better heat protection from the cement board.

I know about scorching and spontaneous combustion, so I’m keeping an eye on it, I’m measuring the temperature during various cooks, high heat (steaks cooking) and long cooks. Each modification seems to improve the heat protection. I’m still looking at various options or modification to insulate or protect the wood even more from the heat.

Greenfeet.jpg

Thanks for looking and your comments.
    Marc
  • BGE doesn't recommend using feet on the XL. I used 3 fire brick to support the bottom of my XL and allow air flow. I think your table looks super.
  • MCR
    I find the instructions about the feet on the XL confussing. I recall reading about it on the forum but the XL egg does come with the feet and popular belief is to you use the feet. Look at the comments above from other members!
    Marc
  • My XL came with feet also, however they were added by the dealer who didn't know that it didn't. There have been postings here about BGE saying not to use feet on the XL. Try doing a search. Good luck with your table, I think it looks great.