Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tricks to make wireless weber thermometer work?

Options
quickdraw
quickdraw Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had trouble with my weber wireless thermometer. I get sporadic readings and different ones than my thermapen.

What are the tricks to make it work better?

Should I scrap it and go with a Maverick?

Thanks,
QD

Comments

• skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    Short story: Mine is a very limited sample but my three Webers work perfectly, and my one Maverick was terrible.

Full story: I had two Webers that worked perfectly. Then one day they started cross reading (giving me one temp even if in two different meats). I then bought a Maverick and quite frankly it sucked. It will only give me an accurate reading if it is a very large piece of meat. For a steak or an idividual piece of chicken it would read as much as 20 degrees too hot and that is inserting through the side of a steak. Basically you just have to be REALLY deep in the meat to get a good read. Even briskets were not accurate. A pork butt was the only time it ever worked the way it should.

I then bought a third Weber and it again reads perfectly. All three have always given me the exact right temp, other than the cross reading problem if my first two are close together (and they always are).

Maybe I just got a bad Maverick, but it is really bad. I will say that the Maverick hardware is better. The stand works better and I like having the temp reading in both places - on the wired device as well as the portable. That way I take the portable inside but also can read the temp when outside. But now that I think about it the remote unit doesn't work at all anymore. Again, it is only a sample of one, but it sure has disappointed. I didn't return it, becasue it was a freebie my store gave me when my Webers started cross reading. I had had both the Webers for over a year, so they were under no obligation to give me another one. Therefore, I never complained and just quietly bought a third Weber.

Freddie
    League City, TX
    League City, TX
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I had a Weber that worked OK, the probes went bad in about a year and the company sent me new ones at no charge. I did not like having to pick the meat you were cooking and the limited alarm capability.
    My first maverick, a model #73 still works fine but I hated having to open the back to turn on the transmitter.

I bought a new 732 and it is great. Better probes, exterior switches and other improvements. I am very satified with it. :)
  • Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    Options
    I bought a Maverick ET-901 off of wwww.woot.com for $12.95.

I used it once so far and the readings were on par with my Thermapen. Very nice being able to be inside when I need to and still know what's going on.
  • Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    Options
    I bought a Maverick ET-901 off of wwww.woot.com for $12.95.

I used it once so far and the readings were on par with my Thermapen. Very nice being able to be inside when I need to and still know what's going on.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    there was no reason to turn the 73 off :laugh: :laugh: just so you know, the batteries last years when left on ;) i do want the 732 though. :) quickdraw, the wireless is a rough gage to get the cook going and to monitor the cook, the thermapen is an instant accurate gage to check things as its getting close. the wireless with meat settings isnt the best, you want it to just give temp readings
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Don't know if this has been mentioned on this forum or not, but if you have an iPhone or iPad, this iGrill looks pretty cool:
    http://www.igrillinc.com/
    It got the highest rating in this month's Consumer Reports, although it is a bit expensive. Can be used stand-alone.

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• quickdraw
    quickdraw Posts: 15
    Options
    Is there any trick to protect the probes? Wrap in foil? Anything?

The grill looks neat. I would do it if it had something to measure dome temp.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    I have never use foil to protect the probes and have never had a problem. I do try to have the wire exit the Egg over one of the plate setter legs.

That said, I never use the probes for high temp cooks like pizza (don't use it at all) or steaks (where I use during the last phase of the TRex method when it is down to 400 or less.)

Freddie
    League City, TX