Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

6 Hour Pork Butt & Homemade Flour Tortillas

Options
Florida Grillin Girl
Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,972
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I found an interesting recipe that I thought I would try for pork butt. It is from the Pioneer Woman's website:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/03/spicy-dr-pepper-shredded-pork/

I used a 7 lb. butt, an onion, and these 2 ingredients:

P5304156.jpg

SHH! Don't tell the Pioneer Woman I used D-I-E-T Dr. Pepper. I can't bring myself to buy the full sugar kind. Don't worry, I put some brown sugar in with it anyway!

Actually I used 2 7 oz. cans of the chipotle stuff, it calls for one 11 ounce can - I like spicy so what the heck!

Here it is going on the 300 degree small egg with plenty of Jack Daniel's wood chips for smoke. I rubbed it with DP Raging River. Platesetter legs up, DO sitting on 3 green feet:

P5304157.jpg

Your supposed to flip it over every couple of hours, this is after 4 hours:

P5304161.jpg

Oops, when I flipped it, almost lost a little piece over the edge:

P5304163.jpg

While the pork was on the egg, I decided to make homemade flour tortillas. Most recipes call for lard, and I can't bring myself to buy lard (yep, my 2 things I never buy - full sugar soda and lard).

I used this recipe which uses oil instead:

http://www.cooking-mexican-recipes.com/flour_tortilla_recipe.html

Here are the dough balls after resting 20 minutes, then shaped like this and resting 10 more minutes:

P5304164.jpg

Make a 4 inch flattened disc and start rolling out with rolling pin to 1/8 inch thickness. Have fun with trying to make it round - I gave up on that quickly:

P5304167.jpg

Cook it in a cast iron pan. I used an oval CI, since I couldn't get the tortillas round. Flip it when it starts to brown:

P5304166.jpg

Back to the pork - this is what it looked like after 6 hours, that is the bone that is about to fall right out of it~

P5304170.jpg

Remove meat and pull - it looks like your regular old pulled pork~

P5304173.jpg

Strain the lefotver juices and discard solids. This stuff is SPICY!!

P5304172.jpg

Defat the juice and pour over the meat. Place some meat on a warm flour tortilla:

P5314174.jpg

Garnish it with some cheese, chopped tomato and chopped cilantro:

P5314175.jpg

Notice the nice edge on the flour tortilla. I was really impressed with these homemade ones, the texture went really well with the meat.

P5314181.jpg

Overall, a very delicious, spiced up dish.

Thanks for looking.
Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini

Comments

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Faith, that looks really really good. :) Thanks for the pictures, recipe and the links. IMHO oil is ok for flour tortillas, but if you are making corn tortillas then ya gotta have manteca (lard).
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Great cook and great post Faith. Your lard-less tortillas look good! I avoided lard for many years till I realized that if I wanted the perfect pie crust I was going to have to give in and buy some. My grandmother could make a pie crust that melted in your mouth and after much experimenting I realized it was due to the mixture of lard and butter she used. Thanks for the low sugar version, I have to stay away from sugared anything. Great photos Faith, it all looks wonderful!

Blair

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Thanks, Blair. I know, I know - I shouldn't be so picky about the lard. I think you should give these tortillas a try - they are easy and totally worth the effort.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    That looks wonderful Faith! Love her site and get a ton of stuff there.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    WOW! Just WOW!! Faith, that last shot looks incredible!!

I may have found something to do with leftover butt! :) Suppose it would work if I simmered the chipotle/adobo with some onion and Dr Pepper and then mixed it with some already cooked butt?

You didn't use the CI lid during the cook, right?

Thanks for posting that!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    sure could have enjoyed the homemade flour tortillas Sat. night :woohoo:
    those store bought ones just don't compliment a great home cooked meal :(
    your pork and sauce looks wonderful :)
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Carolina Q, yes, I think you could heat up your previously cooked butt with it. But be careful, that chipotle stuff is very SPICY! Just start with a little and add more to your taste.

No lid the entire cook. That DO of mine didn't even come with a lid, and I never use one on the egg anyway.

• Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    Options
    woooow
    great looking tacos!!!
    great job
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Great as usual Faith, I am with Michael, I think that brew and some tortillas would be a great way to utilize leftover Butt. I just recently learned that lesson about no lid on the DO in the egg on another post. One of those Duh, of course not, things!!
    Great post,thanks :)
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

I may do that one of these days Faith, my problem is that I am as adamant about staying away from starch as I am about sugar. My diabetes is not very fussy and reacts to them both almost equally. Lard is OK, diabetes doesn't see it. :S

Blair

• Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    Nice post Faith. The butt recipe looks great! I like spicy too. Home made tortillas, looks like fun too.
  • Feeding Frenzy
    Options
    Grillin Girl, That is some amazing looking food! Love the chipotle peppers and love the idea of combining with the pork! I will keep this link saved so I can try this in the future. Tortillas homemade though, I guess I need to buy a rolling pin! :blink: GREAT post!! Thanks for sharing! B)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Faith your house for dinner :woohoo:

Very nice cook
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Faith that looks great, perfect for a mini fest :whistle::whistle:
  • outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    Options
    faith,, looking good.. bookmarked the tortillas receipe... also, glad someone else cooks their boston butts fast..like my sleep too much for overnight cooks.

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Faith: AWESOME!!! Just awesome!! :woohoo: I don't know if I could take all that spice, but what an amazing looking meal! That last photo should be submitted to Gourmet Magazine! Love your choice of flavors, and home made tortillas truly can't be beat! (Ready to invest in a tortilla press yet?? :huh: ) Great post, and awesome looking meal!
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Faith you crack me up, no sugar and no lard. Now what would Julia say?

Seriously, that looks great. :) Hope you'll consider fixing it at a fest.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Is that a hint, Pat? Place your order, you want the pork, or the tortillas, or both?

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Thank you, Michelle, for the nice compliments. Rolling the tortillas with a rolling pin isn't that big of a deal, but I am sure the shape would be alot more round if I used a tortilla press. I will keep my eye out for one.

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Looks very tasty. I haven't tried homemade tortillas yet.

There's a reason PW doesn't recommend diet drinks. You're not supposed to cook with or heat up diet drinks. When heated, the aspartame contained in diet soda breaks down into formaldehyde and DKP, two very dangerous poisons.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    I completely concur! Dimples Mom is absolutley correct here! However...I have heard that playing Frisbee causes cancer, too! And whatever you do, don't go in the sun! :whistle: OH! And never ever use a cell phone! As always, moderation.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Faith, nice looking cook as always, BUT are you still alive from the nasty items in the DIET Dr Pepper??
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I was hoping I could pick 4 or 5 different things :whistle: but that would cut into your pool time :laugh: Can't wait until November maybe Jacqui will let me borrow the place for my birthday :woohoo:
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Oh no, I hope we don't all die from this recipe! I am not worried about it in the least! Gotta go sometime!

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Thanks for posting this Faith! It looks killer good! Was there a nice spice level going on?
    Great pictures.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Molly, yes, alot of spice. Not in the meat, but in the juices. I saved the juices and did not pour it over til serving, depending on the spice level that everyone wanted.

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    RichardFL, it appears there are no ill effects from the DIET soda! Thanks for asking!

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Faith, it looks delicious! What a terrific method this is.

I have to tell you this. One of my daughters and her husband got a Large Egg on Friday, and they've already cooked ribeyes and a duo of pork butts. Only problem, she got a pack of butts at Costco that had a 4-lb. and a 6-lb. butt in it.

She started them at 3 PM using my antique Guru and had to put the meat probe in the small one, right? But they were REALLY slow movers. The small one wasn't done till 3 AM and the large one she took off at 5 AM because she had to get some sleep before work. THEN had to steam them in the cooler, and pull them. Of course, they were delicious. (I coached her till 7 PM and after that she was on her own.)

So today I sent her your post with your 6-hour butt and here's her reply:

"Oh my gosh, YUMMY!!! I need to get the cooking down first I think. I’m still saying..”what’s that called?” "

I wish you could see the lists of potential forum handles they're thinking up. It's hilarious to watch. Sooner or later there'll be two more newbies popping up.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    That's wonderful, Judy. They will get the hang of it... it does take some time. Introduce them when they get their handle and we will all welcome them!

• Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Options
    Good job, Faith.
    You're right that round doesn't really matter, BUT, I have found a trick for round-ish tortillas without buying a tortilla press. I use two of those flexible plastic cutting mats, put the dough ball between the two mats, and press it flat with the largest diameter skillet I own. The tortilla just peels right away from the mats without tearing (though I don't know how a non-lard recipe would hold up). I have two cutting mats which are dedicated for tortilla use, so they don't get sliced up, and I don't get dough sticking in the grooves.