Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hamburger Party

sbmfj
sbmfj Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,

Im having a bbq in a week or so, and well be serving lots of hamburgers. My question has to do with the hamburger buns. I like to serve my buns toasted, and as my old gas grill had a "bun rack" (2nd level one that kinda folds when you closed the lid), that made it easier. I don't have this option with the egg. So, when I'm grilling up like 10 burgers at a time, how should I go about heating up the buns? Should i built a second layer rack? Leave a little room towards the back of the grill, and throw them on there for a cpl of sec's?

Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks!!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    toast them all first, then back in later just to heat them a little. never done it, but have seen it posted here, sounds all wrong but should work great
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • sbmfj
    Thanks, but that doesnt seem right.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    :laugh: :laugh: was my thoughts as well when i saw the post :laugh: then i looked at perfectly toasted hamburger buns. ;) i always rush the buns at the end, too much heat and burn a bunch :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • sbmfj
    thats exactly what Im trying to avoid!!! lol
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Try toasting them under your oven broiler. Good luck to all.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    We finally found a good use for a $1000 gasser!! Now if they just made one where the lid would pop up when the toast was done. :laugh:

Actually, I don't see why you can't throw the buns on after the burgers come off. Doesn't take long.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    My guess would be to get the burgers done, pull them and pile them up on a platter to retain heat. Tent with foil to assist with heat retention. Toss the buns on the grid and toast, should go very quickly.

:P :P
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    I don't see why you can't toast them first, pull them, and then at the end, put the buns back on top of the finished burgers for 1 minute to heat back up.

I saw something interesting on some bbq video the other day and I tried it last night with good results. Put a thin layer of mayo on the buns and then toast them. You could probably also use butter. You can't really taste the mayo (I don't like it!) but it makes for a nicely toasted bun.

I used to heat my burger buns by just laying them on top of the burgers near the end of the cook and closing the lid. This makes for soft buns, not crispy toasted ones. But they are good that way too.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    This is what I have always done, gasser or egg. Toast after you pull the burgers. Unless you are cooking four hundred burgers, I think it will work.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • crunk
    crunk Posts: 94
    I always put the burgers on the bun and then put them back in the plastic bag the buns came in for a few minutes. Creates perfect steamed buns....

Simple yet effective!