Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WTB a XL Egg - Illinois

Options
Tmoritz
Tmoritz Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Already checked Craigslist. Contacted a couple of retailers as well. Best price was $1132.95 with the nest.

Can anyone recommend a retailer that has aggressive pricing or a demo XL around in the Chicago and suburban surrounding area?

Thanks!

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Check here, they are going out of business but may have an XL left. -RP

http://www.floribundagardens.com/
  • Tmoritz
    Options
    They were sold out. Keep the ideas coming!

Found one place local that wants the following prices for new items:

$950 for the XL
    $120 for the nest
    $1070 total

Can this deal be beat in Illinois or Southern Wisconsin?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Just to give you an idea about Demo prices.

http://midegglanticfest.eventbrite.com/

Save about $80. Some might think $80 is worth driving across town or the state. Some might not.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Options
    There's an eggfest in Peoria this weekend. Try calling them to see if they have any demos available. I know it's a further drive than "surrounding area" but you'd get to meet me, which is a nice bonus for you. ;)

By the way...where you from? Aurora, here.
  • BarManBean
    BarManBean Posts: 129
    Options
    When you buy a demo, do you pay tax also? If not, that's a few more bucks saved.
  • Booking It
    Booking It Posts: 53
    Options
    I just scored a used XL over the weekend in the northern suburbs from Craigslist. I won't tell you what I paid, but it was a darn good deal. :)

Up here, I have seen new XLs go for just a little under $1300 with the nest. This price also includes full set up and delivery at two of the places. This is the hard price... they won't discount it further if you set it up yourself and pick it up.

The places I have gotten this pricing from are places in Highland Park, Lake Zurich, and Wilmette.

So wherever you are getting the $1100 price from, you're getting a better deal than we can get in the northern suburbs.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Here's the link and the XL sale price is $989.10 + tax, but nest is extra.
    http://www.hearthandpatio.net/events/eggfest_pre.html
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    I suppose sales tax laws may differ from state to state, but in Illinois new or used is the same sales tax rate. No free rides here!
  • Tmoritz
    Options
    I saw the one on Craigslist for $675 last weekend but decided to pass on it due to some issues with the grill.

The price I quoted was from a retailer in Vernon Hills. So the deals in Peoria but I don't want to drive that far.
  • RRP
    Options
    I understand, but do you commute by car in Chicago? Two weeks ago I was in Chicago and it took me 90 minutes to travel 12 miles on the Stevenson - I could have been half way to Peoria in that amount of time! Actual mileage is about 165, and couple that with Saturday traffic the trip is a breeze!

Getting a used BGE may save you some money up front, but buying a demo egg is the same warranty wise as new. Replace a firebox or two - which you will have to do then the savings is questionable. Even more so if your dome or base have to be replaced...
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Good point. Just the XL fire ring replacement would put over the $80 initial savings.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas