Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hello, spare ribs...I'm back...for good!!!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,894
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Eleven years ago I became convinced that I should switch to baby back ribs since that seemed to be what everybody on the forum egged. Over the years I've had some good baby back ribs, but also some pretty ho-hum ribs. Then it became harder - at least in our market - to find BB that didn't have that d*mn 15% injection!

Well yesterday I swear I had the BEST ribs I have ever had - let alone egged myself! They were spare ribs that I trimmed to St. Louis style. All I did was hit them with Dizzy Dust and yellow mustard. As the cook neared the end I sampled a piece of trimming and shouted with joy! I decided no need to hide the taste with sauce so I didn't! I tell you - I've returned to my senses and it will be spare ribs for me from here on out!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    I have seen the note before, trimmed to St. Louis Style, does that mean cutting the top part off so they are back to just ribs? I like spare ribs as good as baby backs and usually cook a flat of them same time as 6 racks of baby backs that I take to the gun range. I really like them better because they have more fat on them. You don't get a body like mine eating healthy, you have to train!
  • RRP
    Options
    Yes - you trim the flaps off and the pointy end and when all said and done that leaves you with a big rectangular slab of ribs. For ease of handling I then cut that in half and essentially had two big squares of ribs. The trimming are good snacking later in the cook or can be used to add taste to other side dishes such as beans.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i have the other problem, can find descent back ribs at the local butcher, but spares at the supermarket are injected with solution and unmarked
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    Figured that, thanks will try it next time.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Options
    I prefer spares too, Ron. But I did cook up three of the meatiest racks of baby backs I've ever cooked, yesterday. Couldn't believe how much meat was on dem bones. Three racks and eight chicken thighs. Small hickory chunks right in the center, to get the two hours of ribs only, and then cherry around the perimeter, for the chicken. Maple bourbon barbecue sauce. The guests were happy.

See you on Saturday.
  • RRP
    Options
    I didn't see your name on the cooking list so come hungry!
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Options
    Hungry I will be. Going to come as a spectator again this year. Will have to cook next year. I'll be down Friday night, I think.
  • RRP
    Options
    Coming Friday is a smart move - The Dirty Burger and some fellow rascals are driving down Saturday morning so it's good you'll be off the road! :laugh: It will be good to see Elly, Cori and you again! :)